Talk

Advanced search

New kittens - what do I need to know

(7 Posts)
sweetheart Wed 10-Jun-15 12:03:45

We have just got 2 kittens (boys), it's been 15 years since we've had a kitten in the house and whilst they are happy, healthy and well looked after what do I need to do in terms of vaccinations / neutering etc. What ages can this all be done and what can we expect price wise?
TIA

thecatneuterer Wed 10-Jun-15 17:25:37

Kittens should begin their vaccinations at 9 weeks old. A course of vaccinations is two injections 3-4 weeks apart. There are two types of vaccinations available for cats. The basic vaccination is against feline enteritis and upper respiratory tract disease (cat flu). This vaccination is recommended for all cats. There is an additional vaccination against viral leukaemia (FELV). This is recommended for cats that go outdoors or cats that may be mixing with cats that may be FELV positive. A booster vaccination is required once a year to maintain levels of protection against these diseases.

We neuter at 4 months. Some vets will only do it from five months. If you have a vet that says they must be 6 months then find another vet.

We www.celiahammond.org charge £20 to neuter a male and each vaccine is £10 (or £20 for the leukemia one). And £10 for a microchip (a microchip is extremely important). But then we are a charity and so will be cheaper than private vets. Probably if you double the prices you should be in the ball park for private vets.

sweetheart Thu 11-Jun-15 09:47:57

Thanks tcn for the info - unfortunately we are a bit far from you to travel for vaccinations etc. What makes you say stay away from vets saying 6 months? I've made inquiries with all the vet's in our town and they all said 6 months.

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Jun-15 11:04:26

Well it's not the end of the world with males. With females it really is - they can be pregnant by six months. It does rather show that the vet is a bit 'behind the times' though. Six months used to be standard but things have changed.

As I said, it's not the end of the world, but by six months he will be trying to find females so you need to make sure you don't lose him. You really need to keep him indoors until he's been done.

Males can smell a female in heat from half a mile away and will chase them blindly, straight over busy roads etc, and then find they can't find their way home. This is why the majority of strays are unneutered males.

Queenofknickers Thu 11-Jun-15 11:41:03

Agree with catneuterer, my female cat came into heat just before 4 months! Thank goodness for Celia Hammond who neutered her ASAP. Male cat however was utterly clueless and fine at 5 months.

RubbishMantra Thu 11-Jun-15 15:13:33

Do keep them inside until you can get them neutered. So many cats end up as strays when they get lost on their mission to find a girlfriend.

Do you have a Pets At Home in your area? They were happy to neuter my little man as long as he was 2kg. I switched to them, because I found them a) cheaper b) more empathic and c) just general better service all round than any vet I've ever used. Their in-house vets are called Vets For Pets. Cost me £43 to have him neutered and chipped, last summer. They also text reminders of when he needs flea-ing and worming.

sweetheart Thu 11-Jun-15 16:06:01

Thanks for the help and info. I have found a vet that will neuter from 4 months. We'd don't have a pets at home vet local to us unfortunately

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now