Talk

Advanced search

Kidney troubles

(10 Posts)
Watto1 Mon 08-Jun-15 18:52:02

WattoCat is a 14 year old neutered tom. He had blood and urine tests at the vet's today as he has hardly left his water bowl for a couple of weeks. I was worried about diabetes but it turns out he has impaired kidney function sad He's been put on special food (costs an arm and a leg but he's worth it). Apart from the constant drinking (and consequently constant weeing), he's his usual self but I'm still worried.

Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom/comfort for me? He's been part of my life for longer than DH and I'd be gutted to lose him sad

cozietoesie Mon 08-Jun-15 18:56:42

How are his eating and weight doing?

Watto1 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:00:14

Nothing wrong with his appetite! He's the original Six Dinner Sid! He may be just a little thinner but no drastic weight change.

PeanutButterOnly Mon 08-Jun-15 19:35:20

Hello I had 2 cats that had kidney disease. There is a lot that the vets can do including daily medication if it comes to that. it sounds mild at the moment if you're just getting the special diet. You just have to see how it goes really. It is an upsetting diagnosis. My cats did develop other symptoms as well as thirst etc. but equally cats can be maintained ok with this for a long time. Take care

SoldierBear Mon 08-Jun-15 19:37:03

Please don't worry too much - my first two cats both developed kidney problems and were on medication for the rest of their long and happy lives! It was just a wee pill twice a day

Watto1 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:53:55

Thanks all! I feel a bit happier now smile

Watto1 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:56:20

A pill twice a day???!! DH still bears the scars from last time WattoCat had a worming tablet......

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 08-Jun-15 20:23:31

One of the most common treatments now is a liquid on food once daily, I've not yet had a cat refuse to eat it.

Watto1 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:25:06

Phew!

SoldierBear Mon 08-Jun-15 22:46:19

The pills mine had had a sugar coating, so we crushed them up and sprinkled them on food - which they then gobbled down! Drops sound a lot easier though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now