Talk

Advanced search

Teaching 3 week old kittens to use litter tray?

(16 Posts)
GirlInterupted Sat 06-Jun-15 11:49:18

Should I start introducing a litter tray? And if so how do I do it?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Jun-15 11:52:03

Won't mum cat show them? are they hand reared

GirlInterupted Sat 06-Jun-15 11:57:53

Their mum is here too. Will she show them how? This is all new to me and we really weren't expecting to ever have kittens. Our cat is from a rescue and was supposedly neutered, we found out this wasn't the case when we realised she was pregnant

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 06-Jun-15 11:59:41

Mum cat should do it.

GirlInterupted Sat 06-Jun-15 12:01:12

That all sounds easy enough then

Walnutpie Sat 06-Jun-15 12:02:03

Leave it to mum. She'll do a great job.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jun-15 13:28:26

Give the rescue a buzz and book Mum in for spaying as soon as they'll do it. Unfortunately, having young kittens won't stop another pregnancy if she gets out - and if she's a party girl, she'll get out somehow.

Oh - and Yes. She should teach them. (Although I'd be buying a stock of kitchen roll if you haven't already got some.)

GirlInterupted Sat 06-Jun-15 15:01:12

Don't worry she's going to be spayed ASAP. And until then she's not allowed out.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 06-Jun-15 15:04:28

I've just hand reared some kittens we found at about 3 weeks old, they started using the tray themselves at about 5-6 weeks, until then mum will help them wee and poo, and dispose of the evidence afterwards!!

AlpacaMyBags Sat 06-Jun-15 15:09:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stinkersmum Mon 08-Jun-15 06:20:15

They can't even walk properly at 3 weeks. Leave them alone, they'll copy mum as soon as they're able too.

Mimigolightly Tue 09-Jun-15 09:47:48

As everyone else has said, they will just copy their mum. Please try and use a wood or paper based, non-clumping litter though as kittens will eat anything.

BertrandRussell Tue 09-Jun-15 09:52:29

Their mum will show them.

<jealous of kittens- it's so sad that responsible cat owners never get the joy of kittens unless they are really lucky like the OP. Although I am probably supposed to say "oh how awful, how inefficient of the rescue place......." grin>

Any pictures, OP?

dillydollydarling Tue 09-Jun-15 19:54:55

3 weeks is a little young but mum will show them when they're ready. I've got a litter of 6 week old kittens at the moment. My problem with litter training was that mum refuses to use a litter tray inside. Somehow though, they've picked it up pretty quickly. Still have the odd accident though smile

GirlInterupted Tue 09-Jun-15 22:32:17

Thanks all. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow. They are the loveliest little things! They just started playing with each other. I can sit and just watch them for ever.

Mum does get jealous though. If I stroke the kittens she starts rubbing against me and chirping at me to get my attention! smile

cozietoesie Tue 09-Jun-15 22:40:32

I knew it. A party girl! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now