Talk

Advanced search

Blood in cats poo

(9 Posts)
EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Fri 05-Jun-15 09:40:32

Hi, I've had my sisters cat (about 8 years old) since Saturday. The last few days I have noticed some blood in his poo.

He's eating different food to what he was having, and probably a bit more than usual.

Do you think the blood is anything to worry about? I think it may be because he's having different food.

shaska Fri 05-Jun-15 11:12:46

eeeek. How much blood? Actually in the poo, or sort of surrounding it? Bright red, or darker?

If it's been going on for a few days then I would vet yes - it might be nothing but it is a bit worrying I think.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Fri 05-Jun-15 11:18:59

It doesn't seem like loads of blood and it's not happening every time he poos. It's bright red and surrounding it I think.

cozietoesie Fri 05-Jun-15 11:28:39

It could be several things so I'd vet him. Is he with you permanently and does he have an existing vet?

Could you take a sample of stool for the vet to analyze?

shaska Fri 05-Jun-15 11:29:14

They can get little tears from hard poos, just as humans can. That said, it can also be serious. Are you feeding dry food, or wet? If it's dry, might be worth a switch to wet to make sure he's getting enough fluids.

Thing is though, cats hide pain and can go downhill very quickly. Is he insured? I think if he was mine I'd vet just to make sure there's nothing serious going on.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Fri 05-Jun-15 11:55:42

cozietoesie Yes he is staying with me permanently now. He has been to the vets a few times over the years, mainly due to accidents/ being attacked by other animals.

shaska He is mainly having wet food. He also has a bowl with dry biscuits in.

Thanks for the advice, he seems perfectly happy still, lively, playing etc. I will check the next poo he has and if necessary phone the vets.

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Fri 05-Jun-15 12:00:56

Just wanted to say that ours has had this since she was a kitten and is now 10. She usually goes outside, so I don't very often see her poo (thankfully) but on the occasions when she is evil and does it in the house, or has had to use a litter tray I've noticed it. Not saying don't take yours to the vet, but just wanted to reassure you that it might not be anything to worry about.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Fri 05-Jun-15 12:03:02

Thanks abs AFAIK this hasn't happened with him before so I think it may be from changing his food. I will keep a check on him though.

googoodolly Fri 05-Jun-15 14:45:21

Please take him to the vet. It doesn't cost a huge amount for a consultation and it'll put your mind at rest that it's not something more serious. Blood in poo can be a symptom of several things, some of which are serious so you really need to get him seen to, and maybe bring a sample to show the vet.

Fingers crossed it's not something too horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now