Talk

Advanced search

Next Door Neighbours' Dog

(11 Posts)
Butterflywings168 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:23:13

So earlier Madame ButterflyCat and I were enjoying a pleasant evening in the garden...until she snuck out under the fence. Heard neighbour lady greet her. Next thing I hear is the neighbours' dog barking and growling at her, she streaked in and hid, and refused to come out even for treats, poor baby sad She is now out and next to me on the sofa being reassured, but startles at every little noise.
Dog is huge. It put its paw and nose under the fence, still trying to get her. Hate to think what could have happened if she hadn't got away sad feeling shaky myself.
I shoved some random bricks to block the gap for now, not that she'll be venturing there again.
I am more than a bit upset, and angry if I'm honest, that my darling cat could have been hurt or killed. Neighbour didn't even tell the dog off, and conveniently seemed not to hear me when I called out. Also my cat won't enjoy her own garden now sad I know the dog has the right to be out as long as it's securely contained in its garden...which it is. A dog can't jump or climb a (standard 6ft) fence, right? Any tips for - cheaply - securing the fence? (I do have to do that, right? No chance they'll learn to coexist?)
I can't slip poisoned steak under the fence, can I?

cozietoesie Thu 04-Jun-15 23:51:04

Tell me - is she by any chance watching you to see what your reaction is to her upset?

What kind of dog is it?

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 05-Jun-15 00:39:08

Depending on how big the dog is it might well be able to reach the top of a 6ft fence. Mine can (lurcher).

You could use chicken wire to shore up gaps under the fence, and, as cats are sensible creatures with a strong sense of self-preservation, yours will learn to avoid the barky dog's garden.

My stupid dog is driven to distraction by the parade of cats that troop across our neighbours' shed roof to avoid our fence, and him. At least one will stop and lick its arse thoughtfully while peering disdainfully down at him. Meanwhile he bounces up and down like a great hairy yo-yo.

I try not to encourage them but they sneak in after dog's bedtime to party with the mice that live in the shed.

Butterflywings168 Fri 05-Jun-15 23:53:53

Hi cozie. No, she wasn't watching - ikwym, like a 2yo deciding whether to cry grin but she was genuinely upset.
It might be a mastiff, haven't seen it closely enough to be sure - it's huge though.
Harriet, I had to grin at the cats on your shed roof taunting your dog!
She's fine today and although nervous at first, has been out smile

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jun-15 00:07:46

I wouldn't say that a dog would never go for a cat - I get edgy about ratting bloodline dogs for example - but I think that I'd be a little more optimistic. Dogs that are going to make a run for an animal tend to do so quietly in my experience - the barking and growling sounds more like excitement. (I'd still like to know that the fence was in good nick though and maybe try to have a little chat with the neighbour to see what the dog was like.)

Is this the first dog she's encountered?

Butterflywings168 Sat 06-Jun-15 00:55:30

Ah that makes sense, all bark...that is reassuring, thanks. smile
Good plan. Talking to neighbours and probably a chicken wire mission this weekend then.

Butterflywings168 Sat 06-Jun-15 01:00:04

And I don't know about her previous experience of dogs - she's a rescue.

tabulahrasa Sat 06-Jun-15 01:20:04

Most dogs can't jump a 6 ft fence and most dogs if they chase cats, are basically just going...OMG, look, it's a cat, hoy cat come back, come back!!

Some dogs will attack cats, but mostly they chase them because they run away and it's exciting.

Block off the gaps and it should be fine.

Butterflywings168 Sat 06-Jun-15 01:35:52

Thanks tabula. I am a bit reassured.

Update. Little PITA darling was tentative earlier but seemed to decide that after dark was the dog's bedtime wink and YOWLED at me to go out. She then wailed until I came out with her. As sitting shivering watching a cat wander is not really my idea of a fun Fri night, I snuck back in. She pops in periodically to check her source of food mum is still there and then goes back out. I am still having visions of her being eviscerated by foxes/ poisoned/ getting lost/ anything bad that can happen to her.
I want to go to bed. I WILL deploy Dreamies if she doesn't appear soon wink
Remind me why I got a cat hmm

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 06-Jun-15 22:55:37

Ham ia great for enticing reluctant cats back in. Ours used to come running from 3 gardens away when I crinkled a ham packet by the backdoor.

He had feet like clogs and I could hear him clunking back across the fences at rapid velocity smile .

Butterflywings168 Mon 08-Jun-15 01:22:10

Thanks Harriet. Unfortunately I seem to have the only cat ever that doesn't like human food hmm confused
Dreamies are working so far, but she may have seen through it. Came running, ate Dreamies, headed back out. She's not stupid grin I only just got to the door in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now