Talk

Advanced search

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

(5 Posts)
Cantbelievethisishappening Thu 04-Jun-15 19:55:47

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

BibiBlocksbergv2 Thu 04-Jun-15 21:58:12

Hi OP,

Only experience in my case was my 9 year old boy, vet diagnosed (though too late iykwim)

Without meaning to worry you, vet said it's usually difficult if not impossible to diagnose or treat & an affected cat is usually born with the condition.

Very tricky to diagnose he said, not least because cats are so adept at hiding such issues (ie less active than normal, sleeping more etc which can easily be attributed to age)

My boy didn't show any signs though.

What are you having to deal with related to this condition OP?

Cantbelievethisishappening Fri 05-Jun-15 06:28:46

He was diagnosed in December and has been on daily mediation since. Issues with fast respiratory rate and fluid in his chest cavity. The vet has done two drains since diagnosis. He has been fine until last week when he started to breath fast again. He is seeing a cardiologist next week. Fine in himself... eating and drinking, going outside. Just wondering how long he has left and what pointy enough becomes enough. The thought of losing him is unbearable. Lost his sister last month to kidney failure. sad

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 05-Jun-15 09:11:26

I have quite a few patients being treated for HCM. Ultrasound scanning the heart when you detect the murmur is essential so you get early diagnosis - easy to diagnoses on an ultrasound.
I prefer benzapril to treat them, my cases do quite well, but it will eventually deteriorate to full blown congestive heart failure.
What meds is you cat on? Advanced cases I have on at least three meds.

Cantbelievethisishappening Fri 05-Jun-15 17:56:20

He is seeing a cardiologist on Monday. He is on Hypercard and Furosemide. I suppose I will know more about how advanced it is after that. He had a drain on Tuesday but it had no impact on his breathing which was strange as they drew out over 100ml's. previous drains had brought his rate right back down to normal. My vet wants to make sure it is not anything else that could be causing problems
I can't face losing them both so soon. I swear to god I am not having anymore animals after this. My boy had such a shitty first few months of life being horribly abused. I got him from a rescue shelter with his sister and I couldn't touch him for a month as he was so scared. Took him five years just to sit on my lap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now