We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Should I put my cat to sleep?

(11 Posts)
NewTownVelocity Thu 04-Jun-15 11:37:17

They found a tumour in his intestines, bloods came back today, he elevated white blood cells, high calcium, phospherous levels high, kidney disease, heart murmer...

He has spent the last week hiding in a cupboard, coming out only to eat (and he eats very little). He can still jump up on the table and he staggers up the stairs. He still loves being cuddled.

The vet said we can treat his infections with antibiotics and give steriods to increase his quality of life. Palliative care.

Or we can put him to sleep.

I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to end his life if there is a chance he could go on for another few months and be happy and comfortable.

He's 15.

What decision would you make?

BertrandRussell Thu 04-Jun-15 11:42:37

I'm really sorry- but PTS without question. Cats hide pain well, and you don't want t have to do it all in a rush if he suddenly deteriorates. Far better now when you can do it calmly and while he's reasonably happy. Better a month too soon than day too late.

Horrible decision though I do feel for you.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 04-Jun-15 11:43:27

So sorry for you. Been through it in March. I would put to sleep. As soon as my darling girl (same age) was no longer enjoying being a cat I knew what I had to do. She'd been on meds for thyroid and special diet for likely kidney failure and we did Ok. She even played a bit and was friendly and cuddly. And then one day she wasn't and I knew what I had to do. It is a final act of kindness. Our vet was lovely. My darling girl was given a sedative first. It was very gentle and I cried my heart out once it was done.thanks

NewTownVelocity Thu 04-Jun-15 12:22:14

Thank you Bert and Sparky. Sorry you had to do this too Sparky. It's heartbreaking flowers

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Jun-15 12:37:21

Ah, bless you.

I would make the decision to pts, but like you, I'd be agonising over it. From what you describe, that would be the kindest thing you can do now for your lovely boy.


sparkysparkysparky Thu 04-Jun-15 13:15:24

Don't know if you have children too but I recommend two things: first (and as soon as you can manage it on the same day ) get rid of all bowls beds toys or anything related to your lovely boy. If there’s anything you can't bear to part with, hide it. Second, try and find another expression than 'put to sleep" if you think the "sleep" bit will be disturbing. Being the grown up in this situation is horrid but you have to do it.
Take care of yourself and it is,in my view, Ok to let your kids see you cry but not the gut wrenching stuff.

timtam23 Thu 04-Jun-15 13:48:23

Really sorry to hear this. I too would PTS befote a crisis occurs and you have to make distressing decisions in a hurry. Have been through this twice fairly recently. Both cats elderly. First time I hung on too long and ended up with a really distressing Sunday when the cat was withdrawing more & more from us & looked awful, took her to the vet straight away on monday but wished with all my heart that I had been a few days or even a week earlier.
Second time I had learnt from my mistakes & we decided to give the cat one last weekend of sunshine, anything he wanted to eat & lots of strokes, we booked the vet appointment and it was all much more controlled. His death was inevitable but we did not have that urgent dash to the vet with a dying animal which had been so awful with my other cat.

The Blue Cross have some helpful leaflets on pet bereavement including one about what to say to children, if you have children, sorry I can't link from my phone but it's on their website.

If you have lovely sunny weather at the mo it may be possible to do steroids/antibiotics for a few days to keep cat comfortable & give him a final few days of sunning hi.self/lots of fuss? Steroids can work (very temporary) miracles, that's what my 2nd cat was prescribed & he did perk up briefly.

CMOTDibbler Thu 04-Jun-15 13:51:55

I'd PTS now while he is still just about coping. Both times I have had to pts my cats I have wished I'd done it a day earlier

chockbic Thu 04-Jun-15 13:55:43

Agree with letting him have a few days in the sunshine.

Sorry having to make the decision x.

NewTownVelocity Thu 04-Jun-15 14:06:22

Thank you all so much. He hasn't set foot outside for nearly a week now, he has found a safe place in a bottom cupboard where he stays all the time. I don't think he would even be interested in sunning himself...

I know what I have to do...sad

Thanks for your advice and support flowers

Cantbelievethisishappening Thu 04-Jun-15 19:59:54

My cat had cancer........ he had an extra 6 months of a happy, good life on medication/palliative care. Vet was satisfied he was ok. I knew when the time came though. Am so sorry you are going through this..... I am in a similar place as you right now with my little cat I have now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now