Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas?

(10 Posts)
Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 27-May-15 15:04:59

My cat has been holding his head/ear strangely today so I checked him and there seems to be this weird browny discharge/gunk in his ear. I am almost certain it is not blood. He has been acting quiet today.... he came in and went straight under my bed when he would normally come onto my bed.
Any ideas what it could be?

thecatneuterer Wed 27-May-15 15:10:00

I think it could easily be blood. Does he go out at all? He could have had a head injury - possibly even have been hit by a car. I think you need to get him to the vet straight away

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-May-15 15:12:16

Head injury? vets asap for him.

cozietoesie Wed 27-May-15 15:23:08

I'd agree about the possibility of it actually being blood - it changes colour very quickly indeed when it's outside the body. I'd vet him directly.

RubbishMantra Wed 27-May-15 15:46:14

Definitely vets. Cats are good at masking pain. They hide themselves away, just as your cat's doing.

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 27-May-15 23:13:49

Thanks for your responses. My daughter had the door open and he buggered off. I can see him at the bottom of the garden. He is a very nervous, flighty cat anyway so have tried to get near him but he keeps running off. Definitely wont be a car as he has no access to a road. Phoned the cat who has suggested ear mites. He has gunk in the other ear to but not as much.

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 27-May-15 23:14:20

Phoned the vet not the cat

RubbishMantra Thu 28-May-15 00:46:33

Has your vet asked you to bring him in? My vets do an instant test for ear mites.

Could still be blood mind, there's numerous ways he could have received a blow to the head.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 28-May-15 07:45:44

Are you going in though?. They can scratch their ears till they bleed with mites.

It's not nice for them.

Cantbelievethisishappening Thu 28-May-15 14:48:10

Yes..... am taking him in later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now