Talk

Advanced search

Flea drops that won't irritate my cat's skin

(5 Posts)
MrsKravitzFromAcrossTheStreet Sun 17-May-15 22:48:56

Every time I have used flea drops on my cat's nape she REALLY hates it, and quickly runs off. When she comes back the back of her neck is soaking wet, but I don't understand how she could wash there? She surely couldn't reach, isn't that the point of putting the drops there? This leads me to wonder if it's either some kind of sweat or if the drops irritate her so much that she really contorts herself to lick the back of her neck.

I hate to inflict discomfort on her so I haven't de-flead her for years. But now she is really scabby around her back by the tail - lots of little scabs which I presume are caused by fleas. Strangely, I have never found a flea on her in all the time I have had her. I used to have other cats who I used to easily find fleas on and catch them and crack them with my nails but I've never been able to see one on her!

Can anyone please recommend a nice gentle flea treatment that will be less likely to irritate her skin? Thanks.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 17-May-15 23:16:50

Comfortis tablets would be a good option for your cat, but you need to use it every 4 weeks like a religion for it to be really effective.

MrsKravitzFromAcrossTheStreet Mon 18-May-15 12:07:46

Thank you Lone, they sound fantastic but can only be bought with a prescription which will work out expensive for me. Have you used them for your cats, and do they eat them ok? I have never been able to get tablets down my cat either.

During my googling for a gentle flea treatment solution I have discovered that some people actually bath their cats shock

tadpole39 Mon 18-May-15 12:12:13

Check out flea allergy for your cat, the scabbiness could be from the flea irritation and I have read that you seldom see fleas as cats are efficient at grooming them out. My cat has this and there are nasty effects from the allergy if not treated.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-May-15 12:13:16

I have not used them. I see so many cats where non-prescription products have not worked that I am firmly in the prescription camp.
Gentle flea treatment usually means fleas not killed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now