Talk

Advanced search

Sore mouth update

(14 Posts)
krasnayaplats Wed 13-May-15 11:37:16

Turns out he did not have a sore on his mouth. His mouth looks a bit odd because of lack of teeth. He does have a lot of tartar on one of his few remaining teeth, though vet did not think it was causing him pain. She doesn't want to subject him to a GA for teeth cleaning at his age unless she is clear that there will be a benefit to him. She thought his condition is quite good, but he had lost weight since last July and he is very small to start with, and doesn't have spare weight to lose. He is being reviewed in four weeks because of the weight loss.

Last night and today he only nibbled even at the pate type food, which is worrying me. He did, however, wolf enthusiastically some torn up ham I used to tempt him. Not sure whether to be worried or whether my chai is being jerked, as otherwise he is active and of good form.

cozietoesie Wed 13-May-15 11:43:33

Remind me - how old is he?

krasnayaplats Wed 13-May-15 11:49:57

He is 16.5, Cozie. I was told he was 1 when I got him, so can't be absolutely certain.

Olinguito Wed 13-May-15 12:14:07

Would he drink that milk made for cats, to get a few more calories down him?

krasnayaplats Wed 13-May-15 12:27:18

Haven't tried that, Olinguito. Is it something you can get from the supermarket/pets at home?

cozietoesie Wed 13-May-15 12:43:11

Well it's the vet's call but at that age, and with one of his remaining teeth already showing heavy tartar buildup, I'd be thinking of a full dental procedure unless he had other physical issues to prevent it.

His teeth won't mprove with age and use and neither will his reaction to GA. (My own Seniorboy had a full dental at that age because he had such an awful mouth and was generally unwell with it - and he's still with us.)

One for early discussion with the vet I think.

krasnayaplats Wed 13-May-15 13:22:38

Thanks, Cozie. Am keeping a close eye and if things don't improve in the next day or two I will be back at the vet.

cozietoesie Wed 13-May-15 13:47:02

Maybe have a read of this before you talk about teeth further to the vet?

Good luck to him anyway.

Olinguito Wed 13-May-15 16:37:45

This is the cat milk, which is sold at most supermarkets and Pets at Home:

www.whiskas.co.uk/our-products-adults-whiskas-cat-milk
www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-grocery-adult-cat-milk-250ml

I usually think of it as a bit of an unnecessary luxury (and clever marketing), but it might be an easier way for him to get some nourishment (and fluid) if his mouth is sore.

timtam23 Wed 13-May-15 19:49:13

Glad it wasn't something like cancer but I would ask again about dental work under GA, it really can transform things for an elderly cat. My cat had a GA for a thyroid op aged 16 & it was relatively high risk because the thyroid had given him high blood pressure too. The vet thought it would be OK to go ahead with surgery and in the end it all went well. I wish we had been able to get his teeth done too (teeth are a "dirty" procedure so couldn't be done with the thyroid) as within the year he became too frail to have another GA.

krasnayaplats Thu 14-May-15 07:59:54

Will definitely have another chat about the teeth when we go back for review. But it is looking a bit less urgent this morning. M has made it clear that he simply does not like Gourmet Gold pate any more. Sainsburys delicious collection mousse on the other hand ... I think he inhaled it whole, lack of teeth counting for nothing. Having cats is supposed to lower your blood pressure. No one has informed M.

cozietoesie Thu 14-May-15 09:06:28

Ah Hah - a fusspot!

(I have one of those and he has me cold because not only is he old but he needs to have his meds at regular times so I can't hang tough with him as I might for a young, fit cat. If only I would just learn not to get excited when he seems to like something and buy a few boxes of it - the liking almost never lasts.)

krasnayaplats Thu 14-May-15 18:13:33

Needless to say I had ordered 24 cans of the discarded variety. If he doesn't go back to it I suppose the local cat rescue might be able to use it.

cozietoesie Thu 14-May-15 18:48:03

Short of using it as a spoiler for other foods - which is a bit wasteful and expensive - that sounds like a good idea. Your local rescue would probably bite your hand off for extra food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now