Talk

Advanced search

Brilliant alternative cat scratchers ideas please

(9 Posts)
IPeeInTheShowerOhYes Tue 12-May-15 11:20:40

Because my upholstered footstool is taking a battering. Can't screw anything on the wall as I rent. Small rooms so normal cat scratchers wouldn't fit.
Short of winding hessian string round the footstool does anyone have some good ideas to divert their attentions.

fenneltea Tue 12-May-15 11:28:50

You can buy small cardboard scratchers that don't take up much room, ours also loved scratching on the old fashioned coir doormats, so they served a dual purpose smile

thecatneuterer Tue 12-May-15 11:33:52

I was going to say cardboard scratchers too. They are more popular with my lot than the standard types.

www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cardboard_cat_furniture/449554?gclid=CPeSiqKAvMUCFQLlwgodnnsAvg

Like that. Although that's a fancy one. You can get plain ones without the balls and holes too.

IPeeInTheShowerOhYes Tue 12-May-15 13:01:20

They look ideal thank you. Unfortunately one of my cats seems to like pooing on coir doormats.

givemushypeasachance Tue 12-May-15 14:18:32

Mine liked the cardboard scratchers a lot when they were initially on house arrest - before they got out and started preferring the fence posts and decking! Sprinkling catnip on there helped to encourage them to use them.

I rent and experimented with attaching carpet to a bit of wall in the early days with some of those peel-off removable sticky things, two-sided velcro ones designed for holding pictures up. They supported a single carpet tile at cat-scratching height fine, even with scratching (though it was only lightly used - can't speak for intense abuse!) and should peel-off without harming the wall.

isseywithcats Wed 13-May-15 22:08:57

i have the willow cardboard scratcher from pets at home cost a fiver and bought cat nip spray for £8 to keep it smelling of cat nip, my lot love it , dosent take up much floor space and is more robust than it looks

RubbishMantra Wed 13-May-15 22:19:30

I made one myself, out of a square of MDMF(?) and a 5 foot post covered in carpet. they like a good ol' stretch when scratching. Cat yoga.

AnulTheMagnificent Wed 13-May-15 23:47:57

I have a cardboard scratch bed which was very well accepted by a cat that doesn't like cat beds or scratchers but does like boxes.

www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cardboard_cat_furniture/315507

PolterGoose Sat 16-May-15 17:37:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now