Talk

Advanced search

Infected claw

(5 Posts)
BuggersMuddle Mon 11-May-15 22:15:55

BuggersMoggy had clearly overextended one of his rear claws in either brawling or climbing last week, but today it is looking a bit swollen. He's walking / climbing /brawling fine, but not sure what I should best do to deal with it.

Any thoughts? If it wasn't a claw I wouldn't go to the vet (he's a fighter), but worried a claw might be more serious than a face / body gash?

BuggersMuddle Mon 11-May-15 22:18:40

To be fair we're not trying to avoid vet - we will do so tomorrow (but likely to be late on), but as he seems quite content / doesn't have obvious infection we weren't going to call the emergency vet. If I am missing something though and ought to, then of course I will.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 12-May-15 07:06:04

Claw infections can be serious and difficult to treat. I would see the vet today even with promoting treatment they can end in toe removal.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-May-15 08:02:59

I didn't know that could be serious, ASBO did the same a few weeks ago and I dunked it in a bowl of warm salt water every night until it dried up.

A new claws growing back.

BuggersMuddle Tue 12-May-15 10:32:08

Managed to get him in this morning. Vet said it wasn't too bad and he's kept it pretty clean. He cleaned it up a bit more, cauterized and gave us antibiotics. BuggersMoggy is grumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now