Keeping cats in after a move

(7 Posts)
givemushypeasachance Fri 08-May-15 15:55:05

I'm having to move house next month; landlord is coming back to live in this house so me and the cats have been turfed out. Boo. After a lot of rightmove and ringing agencies related stress, in which 98% of landlords seem to apply a blanket no-pets policy, I've now got a house sorted to move into. I've seen various websites and articles advocating different periods of time to keep cats in for when you move them - from a week to a month to six weeks. In practice I'm sure it's very dependant on the individual cats and how much you think they'd be likely to try to roam off back to their old address, or how timid they are, but what have other people done in practice?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-May-15 16:03:00

I think ASBO was in 4 weeks. He seemed to know the layout of the area from looking out of the windows.

RubbishMantra Fri 08-May-15 16:20:12

Ah, shame you've got to move. Different if it's a decision you made, but a pain otherwise.

They're bonded to you, but as this is their first move, keep them in for at least 4 weeks. Then gradually introduce short accompanied trips into the garden. Take the dreamies/favoured treat of choice with you.

Saying that, I forgot to close the kitchen window about a week after we bought this place. blush Petrified ratting of dreamies. MCat's little cat-face appeared over the wall. Big sigh of relief from Mantra.

Lunastarfish Fri 08-May-15 16:27:21

First time I moved with the cat he stayed in for 2 weeks. Second move, one week. Third move 4 days.... You'll notice a pattern!!

Tbh I found my cat was much happier going out and checking out his new surroundings than being locked in all day & night

Guineafoul Fri 08-May-15 16:33:39

I've just moved with 4 cats and lasted no-where as long as I thought. I intended to keep them in two weeks, but in practice it was about 4 days. I let them out once I felt they were moving comfortably about the house, relaxing at their normal times and generally behaving as their normal unstressed selves. They seem to like this house more, funnily enough, but the conservatory has something to do with that! They are all pretty much dash-out-and-have-a-wee-then-go-back-to-bed cats though and generally don't go far - good luck with the move x

thecatneuterer Fri 08-May-15 17:50:37

We recommend three weeks. You need to be very vigilant about not opening doors and windows during that time.

BibiBlocksbergv2 Fri 08-May-15 20:11:00

Three moves and another one ahead early next year here. i agree it very much depends on the individual cat.

my last move in march this year involved one veteran mover cat and one who had never experienced it.

Veteran cat went out on day two after arriving as she was fine & comfortable in the new house from the start.

'Newbie' was very nervous (think the sky man drilling finished him off)

With newbie i went & got a small dog cage/crate from Argos on day 3 as he'd explored all of the indoors & was bored stiff despite my best efforts at playing with him.

Popped him in the crate and put him outside in the garden while i pottered around, occasionally moved the crate to side & front of house so he could orientate himself & soak up all the smells.

This may be totally patronising but did you know that cats have a sort of pocket in their nose? They suck up a good nose full of air & then hold it in the 'pocket' for a while.

Called the flemen response (sp) i think, convinced it must help them navigate among other things?

Anyway, used the crate for two days mornings/afternoons/evenings at intervals whenever kitty got too fractious indoors and then let him out to explore by himself.

He was fine coming home after that.

Second time i've used the cage method and will use it again.

Kitty can suck up air/smells/sounds of area without being able to bolt if suddenly spooked.

All the best for your move OP, sure it will go brilliantly, I've come to the conclusion that cats are far cleverer than they are sometimes given credit for especially when it comes to homing instinct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now