'Stray' cat coming in & eating my cats food

(30 Posts)
Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:24:05

There's been a cat hanging about for a fair few weeks, she now learnt to bludgeon her way through the cat flap (magnetic one!) and is eating my cat's dinner.
I don't particularly mind as I'm sure my feline idiot is a bit of a Six Dinner Sid but I want to know if this cat has an owner. If not, I'll happily take her on. My cat seem stonlike her, they run around the garden together and lie together in the sunshine. He seems a bit smitten by her to be honest.
I've written my phone no & a shirt note (please let me know if this is your cat, just want to make sure she has an owner) on a strip of thin paper & will fix it round the cats neck next time she comes in.
Is this the best thing to do?

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 11:30:29

That's definitely the best thing to do. It's nice that you would consider taking her on. Is she definitely female? She doesn't look pregnant does she?

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:36:20

Wellll..... She is skinny but has a fat belly. I did wonder about that.
There're not PicklePig's if she is! He's been done!
I don't even know that 'she' is a she. I haven't been able to get close enough yet to confirm it. She's getting better at coming up to me though (Dreamies!) so I will eventually manage to have a look and put the collar on.
She pushed her way in today & seemed shocked I was here, so I'm sure she's done it before, I did think that the biscuits and been vanishing a bit fast, thought Pickle was just being greedy.
I will persevere with trying to get the paper collar on & go from there.
Pickle has had his vaccinations but she looks a bit 'manky' should I worry about her giving him something? (Not that I can keep them apart)

Madratlady Thu 07-May-15 11:39:35

Can you catch her and take her to a vet to see if she is chipped?

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 11:40:50

Can you take a photo and post it? I can tell at a glance if a cat is male or female and can hazard a guess about pregnancy. It would be useful to know so you can act quickly if necessary.

You're not in London are you?

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 11:41:25

Yes, checking for a chip is another idea.

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:44:24

I'll try the catneuterer. I am in london, Lewisham.

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:45:32

This is a really crappy pic I took when she(?) was eating my cats food

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:46:38

I was 2 rooms away, that's on maximum zoom. She ran off as soon as I tried to get closer.

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 11:46:56

We have a clinic in Lewisham. You can take her there to be checked for a chip. If she is pregnant, and not too far gone, we can also do a spay/abort, which would be better than her giving birth.

www.celiahammond.org/lewisham

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:48:10

Ah yes, ok New cross road? I've seen the clinic.
If I can catch her should I just take her in or wait a few days to see if the collar gets a response?

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 11:53:19

Yes that's right.

I can't see that photo. It's up to you. You could try the collar for a couple of days (make sure it will come off easily though - you don't want her getting strangled). Then bring her in.

Can you set the catflap to in only so you might stand more of a chance of catching her as she's trying to barge her way out?

Germgirl Thu 07-May-15 11:57:59

I'll try to get the collar on if she come in again.
My furball has just come in for a cuddle so it seems that 'PatchyPoo' as she's become known has gone off somewhere, but I will keep an eye out. Good idea re the cat flap. Thank you.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-May-15 17:34:21

thin with a fat tummy sounds ominous. If she looks manky it's a stray isn't it?.

ParsleyCake Thu 07-May-15 17:41:40

We had a 'stray', nicknamed the Ginger Invader after he invited himself in and sprayed all over our sofa. He lives on our front door step, rain or shine and my two younger cats unconcernedly seem to let him into the house through the one window I leave open for them. My old cat runs him off though, good old boy! What I did was take a photo and submitted it to Cat Protection's local Facebook page, hoping dearly that they would tell me to catch him an bring him in - end of problem of having a house and garden stinking of pee. Also, I felt bad for him as he seemed to be out in all weather.

What happened is an older lady indignantly replied to the post saying it was her cat. Just an owner too irresponsible to neuter, but let him run free. So, nothing we can do, but at least I won't feel morally obligated to take him in.

I suggest you submit a photo to your own local animal rescue Facebook pages, or even your local advertising Facebook page - we have a sell/buy page for our town.

thecatneuterer Thu 07-May-15 17:46:08

No need to submit any photos. Celia Hammonds will take care of everything. Just get her in there. She will be checked for a chip, spayed and then can come back to live with you.

It's not a bad idea to attach a note to her for two days at most, but then just get her in. If it were me I would't bother with the note. I would take her straight to the clinic. (And as she's a stray you won't be charged).

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 05:31:07

I'll see what I can do today. I'm pretty sure she came in overnight as Pickle was in his usual spot all night - at the end of the bed where my feet should be, and I'm sure I woke up to the sound of the cat flap going.
I'll leave the back door open today if it's warm enough & see if I can get the collar on her.
One complication is that I'm going into hospital on Tuesday for a few days. So I might just feed her until then, once I'm back I can get her to CH if there's no reply to the collar note.
I will put food and water outside I think, in case she's scared to barge in.

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 06:15:12

Here she is!
I heard a noise downstairs a minute ago, Pickle is on the bed with me.
She(?) appeared at the bedroom door!
She ran away when I got up but I got this pic of her. I was leaning over the banisters & she's in the hallway.

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 06:20:06

She just came back in so I trapped her. Gave her some Dreamies and put the collar on her.
Here she is.
Looking less manky today.

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 07:38:38

News!!
I just had a phone call from a lady. She said 'you don't know me but I saw the collar on the cat'
Turns out HE is called Ollie, he's 2, he lives up the street from me with another cat, 2 dogs and 3 children plus his owner.
He visits this ladies house regularly and eats her cats food. She feeds him & lets him in.
He also visits at least 2 other houses that she knows of, plus my house.
When she first encountered him she had him scanned, no chip. So she put a collar on him, the owner rang her and told her about him. He's a wanderer.
The lady I spoke to said that the cat rarely goes home, preferring to stay with her or at another of his adopted houses!
So we said that we'd continue to feed him & let him in if he wants to come.
She's going let the owner know I put the collar on & give her my phone no.
So. Not a she, not a stray, just a chancer!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-May-15 07:40:31

Well that is excellent news. He's a little character isn't he?.

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 07:45:10

He's lovely. My cat is in love with him. The lady (I never asked her name!) said her cat is too. He's a charmer.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-May-15 08:11:54

He looks a very confidant puss from the second poster. Free part time pet, what's not to like.

I wonder where he sleeps at night?.

Germgirl Fri 08-May-15 08:19:43

I think he goes home. The lady I spoke to said his owner has collected him from her house at night a few times but he's back again the next morning.

thecatneuterer Fri 08-May-15 10:44:48

Damn - too late to use my amazing cat-sexing powers grin. i was just coming on to say that looks like a well fed boy smile

That's fine then. Your cat has a friendsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now