Talk

Advanced search

My 9 month old kitten has been missing for 2 days now...

(42 Posts)
GentlyBenevolent Wed 22-Apr-15 22:51:12

Just that, really. N went out on Monday morning, with her sister R and our much older cat, C, as per usual (well, as per usual for the last week, we only started letting N and R out last week) and she hasn't come back. Not once, not sight nor sound of her. DH and the kids have knocked on all the neighbours doors, we've put up posters, out the poster in the two Facebook lost pets pages for our city, posted the poster on Twitter, emailed all the members of the local residents association...nothing. Nada. R is going spare, she has never been away from her sister for more than 10 mins till now, they both panic if they can't see each other. C also appears to be sad, he keeps looking for N where she normally sits. DD2, whose cat N officially is (R belongs to Dd1, C belongs to DS) is utterly distraught. N is chipped but she wasn't wearing a collar - many years ago my best friend's cat got caught by her collar and died (essentially, she hung herself) so I've been afraid of collars ever since. she's spayed so that should be an indication to anyone who 'found' her that she is owned - yet nobody has returned her and we haven't been contacted. Until Monday she had never left sight of the house - she would go in the patio, venture slightly into the back garden then come charging back to confer with R (repeatedly, like a game). This will be her third night outside. I am sick with worry, about N and about Dd2 and DS who seems just as upset. Our road backs onto (urban) countryside - quite a large wooded area, I'm not sure if it there's a bombs crater there or if the ground is naturally like that, anyway it's a protected area now, despite being in a city) - and there are foxes (and sometimes, cows!). Basically - it's really not safe for her to be out all night. DH has been roaming the area too, we've left food out etc (though not over night, not only are there foxes but, thanks to the bin policy where we live and the service road out the back, there are definitely rats - hence practically every house has at least 1 cat most have more than one). We know there are at least two houses with potentially dangerous (to small cats) dogs too, not that far away (other side of the service road). sad

thecatneuterer Wed 22-Apr-15 23:39:33

How worrying.

You're right to be wary of collars - it's better not to use them. Try not to panic. It's only two days. You've done/are doing all you can. She will probably just turn up very soon.

GentlyBenevolent Sat 25-Apr-15 07:45:51

6 days now and no sign of her (and DH and DS have been scouring the area every day, we have out up posters everywhere, leafletted every house, social media - the works. Every vet has been notified, cats protection, rspca, we've alerted the chip people ...I can't think of what else we could do). It looks like someone has stolen her., because she's not been found or even seen. Her sister is completely bereft, crying for her all the time. DD2 is devastated.

I HATE people who take other people's cats. They are the lowest of the low.

Moln Sat 25-Apr-15 07:55:55

Oh no. Worst part of having a cat is this not knowing. I want there to be some way of being able to track their microchips, it'd help so much

I feel for you, my 9 month old didn't come home till 6am not long ago and I was so stressed but you've 6 days and a sad sister cat

I've nothing my sympathy to offer I'm afraid.

AwakeWithTheSparrows Sat 25-Apr-15 07:56:41

Oh bless you, you must be frantic. This thread might give you hope www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2356137-Pearl-has-gone-missing

She may be trapped in someone's garage/shed, people will have been in them more because the weather has been so nice. Our cat got locked in a neighbour's shed while they were on holiday, we had to break him out (managed to open a window rather than breaking anything) , they were not happy when they returned because he'd left a little 'present' behind!
Or possibly someone has been away but will be back at the weekend and find her. Don't give up hope yet!

GentlyBenevolent Sat 25-Apr-15 08:24:06

The problem is, with the election I think a lot of people are just chucking any leaflets in the bin. So our missing cat leaflets might have been binned along with the propaganda. We have a halls of residence at the bottom of the road and I do wonder if a student has taken her, but we have plastered posters all round it (and several students have been very nice, and are helping us look). So...I just don't know. sad

wobblebobblehat Sat 25-Apr-15 08:28:40

My first thought is that she is stuck in a garage/shed. Keep knocking on doors and don't give up hope. Cats do reappear.

I hope you find her soon.

timtam23 Sat 25-Apr-15 10:42:56

My cat went missing for 3 days last year when he was 8 months old. There was absolutely no sign of him & it was a dreadful time. Fortunately he did come back - still no idea where he'd been buy I suspect he was stuck inside somewhere. I think this time of year is very inviting for young cats & i have heard of quite a few others who disappear for a bit, maybe off exploring in the warmer weather. Don't give up hope it is still early days. When I posted here last year about my cat there were so many positive stories of cats returning after weeks or even months. Have you scattered cat litter/vacuum cleaner contents around to give her the scent to follow? Also hang a blanket outside, or something she slept on, again to give her the scent. I do hope you get good news soon, I kept hanging onto the thought that if no one had seen my cat alive or dead, he must still be out there somewhere.

Pipbin Sat 25-Apr-15 22:56:58

This just gives me chills. I worry so much about my girl going missing.

I hope yours turns up soon.

GentlyBenevolent Sun 26-Apr-15 06:58:50

Still no sign of her pipbin (freaky name coincidence...)

timtam23 Sun 26-Apr-15 10:05:25

Checking in for any news. So sorry she is not back yet OP.

hiddenhome Sun 26-Apr-15 11:26:34

So sorry this is happening to you. Mine went missing last week, I think someone took her in and she managed to escape and did return to us, minus her collar.

You're doing all the right things by phoning the vets, missing posters etc.

GentlyBenevolent Mon 27-Apr-15 00:17:10

It's just so sad. Dd2 is devastated and N's sister is constantly crying for her - she has a special 'where are you' meow she does when she can't see N and she's just pining for her all the time. sad

isadorable Mon 27-Apr-15 21:34:45

i'm sorry - it is so hard to deal with for the whole family I know. I hope she reappears.

hiddenhome Tue 28-Apr-15 00:09:54

(((Hugs)))

AlpacaMyBags Tue 28-Apr-15 01:13:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiptops Tue 28-Apr-15 17:19:51

Don't give up hope yet. She could be trapped somewhere and needs you to keep looking for her.

When posting flyers around the area, knock on people's doors and ask if they mind you having a look in their shed/ garage/ under decking etc. Lots of people wouldn't bother to do that even if they had a flyer. The best chance is if you look for yourselves.

Look thoroughly. Being young she could have been spooked by something new/ unfamiliar and be hiding. She could be very close but well concealed so search hedges etc.

Scatter the dust from your Hoover around the area nearby to your home. She has been going outside for no time at all so could have got lost and wandered off.

Keep putting up posters so if she has been taken in she becomes 'too hot to handle'.

Hate to say it but have you called the local council incase she has been hurt or worse, and picked up by them? Microchips aren't fail safe. I found a lost cat who appeared to have no chip, it had just stopped working.

All fingers and paws crossed here for her safe return - my cats used to be free roaming and I know the horrible sick feeling when one doesn't come home.

timtam23 Tue 28-Apr-15 21:39:55

So sorry OP. Still hoping here. All good advice above. Keep us posted flowers

hiddenhome Wed 29-Apr-15 10:23:45

I put food and water out each night. People will readily take in lost cats believing them to be stray, so the posters are a good idea.

I hope she comes back to you. Cats can suddenly turn up weeks after going missing.

Littlemisssunshine75 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:36:42

Probably no consolidation I know, but when I was younger my cat went missing. I was devastated & my parents looked for her everywhere. We basically gave up hope, but then about 2 months later she turned up at the end of a neighbours garden. She had no claws left so we think she had been stuck inside a garage or shed and had fought to get out.
I hope your kitten comes back, it is a truly worrying time when you don't know where they are and what's happening to them.
I'm thinking of you all.

EquinoxEclipse Wed 29-Apr-15 19:38:35

Don't lose hope, my boy came back this morning after 3 weeks away! He was filthy and has developed some serious muscle - god knows where he was, but I had all but given up. Really hope she comes home soon.

GentlyBenevolent Wed 29-Apr-15 21:05:21

Thanks for all the support. Still no sign of her. sad

frazzledbutcalm Wed 29-Apr-15 21:13:10

Sending big hugs gently
Mine went missing but turned up the following night. We were beside ourselves. We think he was trapped somewhere as he was so hungry and quite grubby after just 1 night. When I was young our cat went missing for 3 months ... came running home skinny and scruffy one day.
I really hope your girl comes back soon.
flowers

Pipbin Wed 29-Apr-15 22:34:17

I hope she comes back soon. I can'y imagine the worry.

hiddenhome Thu 30-Apr-15 23:03:25

Still here wishing for her safe return. I know how hard it is. Cats are very tenacious animals and she will probably have found food and shelter with someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now