Talk

Advanced search

Cat lost voice

(9 Posts)
SayraT Tue 17-Feb-15 20:05:45

Wondering if anyone has experience of this?

My cat (male, neutered, 2 years old) seems to have lost his voice, he has always been a vocal cat and wanders around miaowing to himself. Recently I felt that he wasn't being his normal self though still eating, pooing and going outside as normal.

He has just come in and tried to miaow but just a little hoarse squeaky miaow came out sad It then occurred to me that the last time I heard him miaowing properly was last weekend (7th/8th Feb) I think.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 17-Feb-15 21:20:11

I'd take him to the vets. It can't do any harm to ask can it?.

SayraT Tue 17-Feb-15 21:29:02

I'm going to take him tomorrow, I just wondered if anyone else had ever had their cat lose its voice.

jaspercat2002 Tue 17-Feb-15 22:13:16

One of my cats lost her voice after getting stuck in someone's shed for a day and presumably spending the day meowing as loud as she could.

She has never really got it back (about 10 years ago when she first lost it) She can sometimes get a small squeaky meow out. Vets couldn't find anything else wrong.

I think you're right to get him checked though - hope it turns out to be nothing.

MabelBee Tue 17-Feb-15 22:17:11

Mine has lost his. It went about a week ago, but he has been very ill, off his food, in and out of hospital on a drip. I'm hoping he gets it back because he loves a chat.

SayraT Wed 18-Feb-15 09:51:00

We are going to the vets at 6pm tonight, I will let you know how it goes.

Hope your cat is better soon Mabel

PTAblues Wed 18-Feb-15 09:54:22

Mine does this when he's been trying to cough up a fur ball. Once he stops it recovers after about a day. Good luck tonight.

SayraT Wed 18-Feb-15 09:58:27

He hasn't been coughing or anything, I feel sorry for him and his pathetic little voice. I've also got a cough/cold just now and have a squeaky voice too. Maybe he is just sympathising grin

SayraT Wed 18-Feb-15 18:55:21

Vet couldn't see anything wrong with cat, she gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and I've to go back if it doesn't get better in a few days. If it doesn't get better she will sedate him to check further down throat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: