Talk

Advanced search

Is my wee man getting enough to eat?

(6 Posts)
Allinafankle Thu 12-Feb-15 22:17:32

My cat's been on a vet-imposed diet for 6 months and he's finally reached his goal weight. He's now 4.7kg. As advised we're feeding him 100g good quality wet food in the morning and 25g Applaws dry in the evening. He's always been greedy and will eat anything he can get hold of, but just recently he seems to be starving. He's been in the recycling bin on a couple of occasions (that's a new one) and is constantly trying to get in the cupboard where his food his kept. I'm worried he's not getting enough - the vet said it was fine but I'd hate to think he was genuinely hungry.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 23:33:24

He's still under vet supervision? Oh - and did he get any easement in his diet once he'd reached his goal weight?

MedusaIsHavingaBadHairday Thu 12-Feb-15 23:41:04

He sounds hungry :/ Was he very overweight, or does the vet have some 'all cats should be this weight' figure?

Cats vary just like people.. I have one who would look chunky at that weight and another who would be very underweight for his build and breed... my big lad was 10 kg at his peak and not a spare ounce of fat on him... cos he was a dog sized Maine Coon and he was a massive cat.

Personally I'd put a bit more dried food down and see if it keeps him out of your bins!

Allinafankle Fri 13-Feb-15 07:06:43

He was nearly 7kg when he started. We showed the vet the brands of food we are feeding him along with their feeding guidelines and she advised us how much to give him. His dry food's gone up from 20g to the 25g but that seems to have made things worse! He has to go back in three months for a check up and I don't want his weight to creep up again but I don't want to starve the poor wee thing either. Maybe I'll try putting a little dry food in his feeder ball (which we'd stopped using) for during the day.

cozietoesie Fri 13-Feb-15 07:13:15

That's quite a weight loss in that time. I don't like to gainsay vets because they have to carry the can ultimately but I think I'd ease up a little. Maybe go back earlier than the three months?

Does he go outside?

Allinafankle Fri 13-Feb-15 07:39:34

He does go outside, but he's never particularly keen! He normally has a quick scratch on the fence and is back in within about 5 minutes. He's certainly more active than he used to be though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: