Talk

Advanced search

Another cat?

(6 Posts)
Preciousbane Thu 12-Feb-15 17:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itsnothingoriginal Thu 12-Feb-15 22:06:42

Watching with interest as we have a 2 yr old cat and would love another one too. Just worried she'd hate having another cat around and might vote with her feet...

FushandChups Thu 12-Feb-15 22:36:49

I wouldn't - you've said she hates other cats and a kitten will soon enough be another cat smile

I would love to have another furry buddy but my current cat has made it very clear that he needs his own secure territory, my house, and I couldn't do it to him. I really want one though!

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 23:30:17

I'd think long and hard about it. I have a cat who hates other cats and I wouldn't introduce a kitten because they become young cats just too quickly and the difficulty that might be caused might not be able to be undone. (My old boy knows what a cat is whether it's 3 months or 3 years - and despises all of them.)

Having said that, some people on this board have been lucky with introductions (generally after being Dudleyed) and things have worked out well. It does seem to be pretty much luck though and I wouldn't be happy with myself if I took a chance and it didn't work out resulting in two unhappy animals.

TheresACatInMeKitchen Fri 13-Feb-15 15:40:19

My oldest cat is 11 years old he will not accept any adult cats at all in the house. He will allow next doors cats in the garden but god forbid if they try to come in the house, all hell breaks loose (including him spraying!) but with kittens he will welcome them with open arms, its like he know's that he needs to protect them and they are not a threat. He has had to share his home with a fair few over the years and we have never had any problems!!

Yet a cat I had years ago would not accept any cat or kitten regardless of how slow the intro's were.

I think it depends on the cat tbh, My boy is a loving a soppy lap cat he is like a big teddy bear, but the cat that wouldn't accept any new cat/kitten was very temperamental and you had to keep your wits about you to try and judge whether it was safe to walk past him or even stroke him!!

If you do decide on another kitten then I must stress the importance of taking the intros really slow. I don't know how many times I have seen that a new cat/kitten needs rehomed because its not getting on with existing cat after a few days.
Usually with the new owner stating "we were told it gets on with other cats" but rather than introduce slowly have chucked cats together in the same room immediately and then can't understand why the don't get on hmm

Good luck with whatever you decide!smile

Preciousbane Sat 14-Feb-15 01:07:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: