Talk

Advanced search

OK, I admit defeat, the cat wins!

(21 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 15:51:52

I've been worrying for ages about the fact that H doesn't eat wet food. After trying various things I admit defeat - if he wants dried food, he shall have dried food! I've tried him on all sorts of different wet food over the years and he turns his little nose up.

I finally thought I'd cracked it with Applaws tuna flavour but he wasn't too good afterwards - he slept for 9 hours and when I woke him up he was limp and just not himself.

He's not like other cats - I've tried feeding him chicken and fish when we have it but he's not interested. He won't touch Dreamies and when I put some prawns in his bowl with his biscuits we found the biscuits all gone and the prawns in a pile beside the bowl!

Does it make me a bad cat slave if I let him have his James Wellbeloved duck or turkey flavour? He drinks plenty and the vet said he was in good condition on his last check up. His fur is glossy and he still runs around like a (very large) kitten each morning. I want to do the best for him but I don't want him to be miserable either.

steppeinginto2015 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:55:13

as long as it is a complete meal and not a snack/treat dried food then it is fine.
(and less smelly and easier for you!)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 16:03:45

It's a complete food and he loves it so there's very rarely any waste either!

cozietoesie Wed 11-Feb-15 16:13:04

If you can put up with the smugness............

DownAtFraggleRock Wed 11-Feb-15 17:22:49

My older cat will eat nothing other than royal canin dried food. Vet says that it's ok not that we have any choice in the matter

She's 10 ish now and seems to be doing ok on it grin

RubbishMantra Wed 11-Feb-15 18:22:28

Ah, bless you Pink.

I spend a lot of time fretting about my cats' diets, so I see where you're coming from.

He's a good drinker, so will be fine I reckon. Keep an eye on how much water he's drinking.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 20:20:21

It didn't help that when I asked about feeding on another forum I was basically told I was cruel and killing him! It was a long time ago and I've worried about it ever since,

Other than breath to fell a herd of elephants he seems to be doing ok on dry food. He's got a huge bowl of water in the kitchen and another one outside (which naturally he prefers) and also a tray of water like a small pond in the garden.

Cozie, he keeps giving me the smug look...

PestoSnowissimos Wed 11-Feb-15 20:25:34

Well he looks very happy with your decision grin

cozietoesie Wed 11-Feb-15 20:33:08

.....Other than breath to fell a herd of elephants.....

How are his teeth?

(Yes - he does have that smug look!)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 20:37:01

We call him the Pompous Pussy Cat!

His teeth are fine apparently. The vet checked when he had his jabs and said there was a little bit of tartar but nothing worth talking about. I think it's just the food - it stinks when you take the top off the container.

cate16 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:58:17

At least he eats the posh stuff - mine will only eat go-cat, or whiskas on the odd occasion. sad
Vet says not to worry she's healthy and happy, but I feel guilty that she's eating junk food.
She does drink lots of water though... but it has to be from a glass, or the dirty pot in the garden.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 21:10:42

Oh yes, the dirtier the better! Next door has a small, extremely stagnant pond - apparently it tastes lovely if you're a cat! He also likes to drink from my glass of water. (Obviously I don't share, not with that breath!)

cate16 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:15:31

Mine now has her own glass! smile

RubbishMantra Thu 12-Feb-15 00:04:56

Crikey, he does look smug indeed.

Little Lord Fauntleroy.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 12-Feb-15 00:22:32

Mine have only ever had a dry complete food, appropriate to their age and needs.

Vet is happy, they get wet food rarely enough that it's a huge treat, no kidney problems, never had teeth issues which vet is very happy about given that they are twelve next week.

They have a water fountain, which gets topped up by at least a pint each morning, they also have tap drips and a freshly flushed toilet to drink from.

Pet nutrition has come on in leaps and bounds especially in the last decade.

Lweji Thu 12-Feb-15 00:27:25

My vet suggested putting the dry food in hot water, as my cat developed urine crystals and needed to be hydrated, but they had dry crystal control food.
Do you think he might eat it like that?

I had the opposite problem as my cat initially only ate wet food. He now eats both types well.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 12-Feb-15 12:22:49

I bought him a water fountain last year. Somehow I knew I was wasting my money but I never learn. DH set it up and I proudly put it in the kitchen and waited for H to come in. He approached it with a rather fluffy tail and then backed off and wouldn't go back in the kitchen! Thankfully my friend's cat was rather more grateful.

Poor H, he makes life hard for himself...

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 12:27:22

Judging by the look on his face, I would rephrase that to say 'Poor H, he makes life hard for me......'

grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 12-Feb-15 12:32:31

Good point!

This is the look he uses to get his own way and I fall for it every time - no wonder he looks smug!

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 13:27:06

Plaintive yet faintly hopeful. He must have spent hours perfecting that! (Or is just a natural.)

grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 12-Feb-15 21:05:24

We've got mirrored wardrobe doors and H often sits and looks at them. I'm sure he's busy perfecting his cute look!

And if cute doesn't work there's always bitey scratchy to get his own way!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: