Advanced search

So sad I was given a choice and I choose putting our bundle of fluff to sleep.

(41 Posts)
JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 12:26:07

Going to tell vet after it's ok with the rest of the family. I am so sad.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 12:28:22

It's no consolation but you are doing what is best for your poor cat. You've given her every chance and stopping her suffering any more is the greatest thing you can do for her.

Thinking about you thanks

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 12:47:24

Thank you for your kind words. I am dreading dealing with school pick up.

Frenchfemme Wed 11-Feb-15 12:50:19

I've just read your other thread and you are absolutely doing the right thing for your lovely girl. Thinking of you.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 11-Feb-15 12:52:04

Any pet who has an owner willing to make this choice is a lucky pet. sometimes there really is nothing anyone can do and putting to sleep is the kindest thing.

so sorry it has come to this but I hope you can take comfort in knowing your precious kitten isn't going to be suffering any more.

so very sorry.. loosing a pet is so hard I still think about my cat every day all these years later.

You are a good and kind owner. s/he is lucky to have such a loving family

cozietoesie Wed 11-Feb-15 12:55:36

You chose, from love, to end her pain and fear. It was completely the right thing, Joan, desperately sad though it is for you.

I don't know how old the DCs are but have you seen this? (Linked by timtam some months ago.) I haven't had to use it myself but some posters have and have found it very useful.

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 12:57:13

I had to put a cat to sleep in the past. I stayed to the end for her and will for this little bundle of fluff too. sad

cozietoesie Wed 11-Feb-15 12:58:39

Take care.

heronsfly Wed 11-Feb-15 12:59:05

I'm so sorry, its such a difficult decision to make, I had to do exactly the same a couple of years ago, our lovely pure white cat went to the vets to have a routine tooth extraction, they rang during the morning to say that blood test showed that he had kidney failure, vet offered to patch him up so that he could have a few more weeks/months but his quality of life wouldn't be great sad I had to make that dreadful decision too, and break the news to dcs after school, but I dont regret the decision and after the initial tears and upset my dcs accepted that it was the kindest thing to do.

Honeydragon Wed 11-Feb-15 13:00:40

Oh Joan I'm sorry sad

You love your cat and your decision comes from that love, please don't forget that,thanks

RubbishMantra Wed 11-Feb-15 13:41:35

Take on board what everybody's said Joan. There's no point in prolonging her suffering. You've given her a lovely life.

It's only natural to want to do more. Part of the human condition. flowers

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 14:09:18

I don't want to loose her she is the nicest cat I ever owned. My dc adore her. She gives us joy. She was happy until this accident. We invested so much in getting her well again. I was up in the middle of the night encouraging her to eat. Hurting my back getting the cage. Hurting my back leaning in hugging her so she would have the will to keep going. It was all for nothing and she suffered all that time. We thought she would get better.

Poor thing. Dislocated hip. Cuts. Mushed up soft tissue in her legs. Confined to a cage. Now its all split inside her thigh into her anus and vulva. You could see soft tissues of her leg this morning.

We should have listened to her when she wouldn't eat and wanted to give up and let her go then. I feel so guilty. I know though I did my best. I got her to a vet on a Sunday quickly and reduced her pain at least.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Feb-15 14:11:56

You did your best to give her a chance. Now you have to let her go. It's a loving thing to do.

Hoppinggreen Wed 11-Feb-15 14:13:21

I'm so sorry.
This the last act of love you can give her x

BagelwithButter Wed 11-Feb-15 14:13:52

It means you LOVE her and you wanted to minimise her suffering in the only way you could.

If only we had that choice for our parents/loved ones in such situations.

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 14:15:14

I know I will let her go. She had a nice life. She loved our garden. She loved cuddling next to our neck/chest when we sat up. She has suffered enough the past week or so.

OnlyLovers Wed 11-Feb-15 14:16:17

Joan, I'm so sorry. I was on your other thread.

You've done nothing but love her and do your best for her. You have NOTHING to feel guilty about.

You're doing a loving thing for her now. I'm holding your hand. thanks

bettyboop1970 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:29:10

So sorry Joan. Sadly I've had this experience too.
Handhold and flowers for you all.

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Wed 11-Feb-15 14:32:18

Oh Joan, I was given the same choice on Saturday morning. My elderly cat had been telling me half the week that she was ready to go but I kept thinking she would eat something if only I could find the right food, she just had to to take her medicines, and she would drink enough to keep going. I decided on Saturday morning that it just might be her teeth and took her to the vets immediately.

Luckily they let me wait. The vet looked at her and said her teeth weren't too good but due to her age (almost 19) they wouldn't guarantee a successful operation and she didn't think that was the cause of her not eating/drinking.

But why didn't I have some blood tests done to see if there was any change in her kidney problems. If it had got worse, and she still wouldn't eat over the next few days, she could be put to sleep sometime this week, and if the blood tests were ok, they could operate on her teeth this week.

Initially I decided to have the blood tests done but suddenly I looked at her and thought I'm only doing this for me. She would have had to go to the hospital for the weekend no matter what, for rehydration, and I just couldn't bear to take her there, all upset and bewildered, and leave her there all weekend, so I decided to let her go there and then.

She weighed so little, and was so weak that I thought she should go in my arms with me kissing her.

I have felt guilty ever since but I absolutely know I did the correct thing, and so do you, you have tried all you can, no one could have done more for her, she'll be at peace, bless her.

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 14:43:52

I am so sorry for you both.

She slept most of the time. I had her in the living room. I slept on the sofa so she would not be alone. I had the heating on constant and the cage by the radiator for her. She got very upset at times being trapped in the cage. It was like most of tge time she was sedated and suddenly she woke up properly and got so distressed almost trying to do monkey bars.

I am going to school now. I guess we will turn up at the vets and ask to see her, then give the go ahead. sad

Damnautocorrect Wed 11-Feb-15 14:46:38

I am so so sorry, its awful seeing them suffer. Your ending her pain and letting her rest.
Mine died suddenly on monday, it will floor you but in your heart you can have the comfort that you know you've done the very very very best that you can.
flowers be kind to yourself over the next few days

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 15:06:47

Autocorrect, so sorry.

Waiting at school now.

Damnautocorrect Wed 11-Feb-15 15:47:12

Wishing you love, i hope it is peaceful and goes as ok as it can flowers

MontserratCaballe Wed 11-Feb-15 15:51:10

So sorry, Joan. It is the kindest thing. Best wishes to you.

pilates Wed 11-Feb-15 16:17:12

So sorry Joan, I read your previous post. You did your very best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now