Talk

Advanced search

weird behaviour 4 mth old kitten

(12 Posts)
Reddragon116 Tue 10-Feb-15 12:30:42

Healthy little cat not in any obviouss pain has suddenly become very vocal with a chirrpy sound while lying on back wriggling or sort of crouching and working back legs. Ist heat or just attention/affection seeking ? Could shejust have suddenly started misding her mum ( kitten novice so please be kind) - all other cats have bren older recues so am confused

gamerchick Tue 10-Feb-15 12:35:08

She sounds happy to me.

You'll know if she goes into heat. I've never heard a racket like it.

Reddragon116 Tue 10-Feb-15 12:37:17

She does seam to do it to get affectionand starts when i walk in her direction - has already fallen off a chair this morning doing it

heronsfly Tue 10-Feb-15 12:42:53

Mines doing the same, 4 month old female, we all keep rushing to her aid thinking she has suffered some terrible misfortune but she is absolutely fine, just seems to have found her very loud voice grin

RubbishMantra Tue 10-Feb-15 12:49:11

Hmm, the crouching and working back legs sound like she may have come into heat. Is she creeping around with her tummy on the floor and bum in the air?

She's old enough to be neutered at 4 months, provided she weighs more than 2kg (I think).

cozietoesie Tue 10-Feb-15 12:51:51

Ha! They want to go out and party is what they want - they just haven't found a way to articulate it yet. 4 months is now the recommended age for neutering if the kitten is otherwise healthy and of a reasonable weight. Here's some guidance - you'll see the Cat Group Policy Statement linked towards the bottom of it.

Get on the phone to the vet and book her in. smile

cozietoesie Tue 10-Feb-15 12:55:39

I think it's less than 2 kg Mantra - but I'm blowed if I know what the weight should be. Happy to stand corrected on that one.

Hopefully one of the vets/experts on the board can give us a view.

Reddragon116 Tue 10-Feb-15 13:04:28

Shes still quite tiny so am goingvto wait a month or 2. - indoor cat so not a problem - i think it might be going into heat she does seam sort of erh frustrated smile

cozietoesie Tue 10-Feb-15 13:13:19

I have a feeling that the weight might be just 'normal body weight for age' so - 1-1.2kg at her age? (RubbishMantra could have been thinking in lbs.)

I'd still have a word with the vet, Red. A young cat getting pregnant is not good news for them and while you might be able to develop eyes in the back of your head (and you'll likely need them!) they're devils for getting out. My particular concern would be not just that they could become pregnant - because spaying should take care of that issue - but that they could get outside for the first time in an 'uncontrolled' mood, see a handsome bit of stuff across the road and head there straight into the path of a car.

gamerchick Tue 10-Feb-15 16:03:41

You'll know soon enough if she's going into season. The calling for boys noise they make is hard to believe is coming out of such a little animal.

Great fun in the middle of the night.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 10-Feb-15 17:31:29

Sounds like heat to me. They do the back leg thing to give the male better access.

Never met a male who needed help but there you go.

Stinkersmum Tue 10-Feb-15 18:00:07

Definitely sounds like she's in heat. Get her fixed as soon as your vet allows. I do TNR here in Saudi. If they're 2kg, they're big enough. They are easier to operate on and recover much quicker. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: