Advanced search

How can I make him smell better?

(16 Posts)

Today, Obie had a poonami of epic proportions.
He's a greedy boy and I suspect overdosed on stealing his sister's and Portia's food. Went out for a poo (yay) and came back with said soft gooey poo firmly squidged into his very long maine coon fur.

He woke me up as always at 6.25 am and dragged his butt across my bed, Ds2's bed, Ds'1s bed.... and sat on every bit of furniture!!! I grabbed him, pulled off as much poo as possible and gave him a quick bum wash before I ahd to dash to work.
On my return I had to strip every bed, mop the entire house and clean as many surfaces as I could (they are kept in while I'm out)

DH and I then got the scissors and bowl of warm water with shampoo and attempted to clean him up. He was neither grateful nor happy, and wrestling 16 pounds of writhing, stinky arse is not something any of us enjoy. was like a comedy sketch!

The poo has gone (as has half of his butt fur!) but frankly he still smells pretty rank. He is now on a strict diet of dried food for a day or so to firm his bowels up again...

Is there anything else I should do to help him not smell so bad? I don't want to subject him to another bath, poor boy!

I have had cats all my life, and Morph had to be bathed a couple of times, but I have never encountered such a poo fest and subsequent stinky animal!

cozietoesie Mon 09-Feb-15 23:31:33

I can't think of anything that doesn't involve an application of something, Medusa. Where does (did) he sleep?

Does he permit grooming?

To a limited extent.. DH groomed him tonight while I was at my Taekwondo class, and removed a bit more fur from his nether regions.. his tail end looks a bit sad! But even though we have removed the poo, scrubbed his butt as much as we could (it was really welded in..he must have literally pooed then sat in it!) He still smells bad.

Obie seems to have recovered and is currently having a mad hour chasing Ophie while I finish my wine grin But he is still very smelly! Short of febreezing him I'mnot sure what else to do, but I'd rather not have any visitors turnup tomorrow....

Oh and he appears on my bed at 6.25 am precisely!! 5 mins before my alarm goes off, he likes to slap my head a bit to remind me it's breakfast time...

cozietoesie Mon 09-Feb-15 23:56:14

I'd be tempted to try a dry cat shampoo - do you have any pet stores nearby ?

tinkerbelletigger Tue 10-Feb-15 00:04:50

I use the strawberry scented cat dry shampoo on my stinky cat. It's called Pethead.

Qwebec Tue 10-Feb-15 00:37:55

I've heard of people trimming the fur on cat's bum to limit the poo retention.

As for the smell, I've been told that a raw diet limits greatly the amount of poo ans the smell. For many reasons I don't give raw to my cat, but we noticed that her poo smells much less since we swiched to a high meat content dry food.

Stinkersmum Tue 10-Feb-15 18:17:08

Try switching to a decent dry food - not supermarket brands though, they're crap. I currently feed my lot (11 indoors, 30+ outdoors) Royal Canin fit32. It's not the best of the best but as I'm out in saudi it's the best available. It does work, poos tend to be a lot firmer and a lot less stinky smilesmile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:03:08

No advice but I like the cut of obies jib. He's very thorough isn he?.

He is that! And totally unrepentant the little furry git!
Tonight we had another look and found a 'nugget' we had missed.. turned him turtle and he is now sporting a brazilian grin

In revenge however he stalked to the bathroom , did a poo NEXT to the litter tray and then peed in the shower drain (the litter tray was clean.. no excuse)...while glaring at me!

I think I will get some dry shampoo as I doubt it will be the last time. He has a very cavalier attitude towards his personal hygiene and seems to positively enjoy weeing over the shower drain...

Remind me again why I wanted more cats?!?!?!?!

cozietoesie Tue 10-Feb-15 23:55:32

It would, of course, be entirely inappropriate of me to mention that his poos will get bigger as he does - so my lips are sealed.

BagelwithButter Wed 11-Feb-15 08:40:46

I think we need a picture of Mohican cat grin

RubbishMantra Wed 11-Feb-15 09:44:06

Oh definitely!

Brazilian cat. Obie, the metrosexual feline. grin

No pictures... his bumcut was not by Vidal Sassoon grin

Cozie... he does humongous poos already. Seriously I am in awe of the size!
I am almost glad that he has decided our vegetable bed is THE place to deposit them, as the litter trays have seriously been stretched to their limit...

Greedy big boy = human sized poos. Luckily no more today and I THINK he smells a bit nicer....

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 00:01:39

I wouldn't dream of mentioning that there are MCs around who are, fully grown, twice the size of Obie. It might, after all, inhibit you in negotiating that second mortgage for future cat food. grin

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 07:47:12

PS - what does he weigh now. 17/18 lbs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now