Advanced search

keeping new cat in house

(10 Posts)
sacbina Sun 01-Feb-15 20:39:20

new rescue cat is a 2 year old. seems to be settling in well, eating, drinking, playing and happy to lounge about the house, not hiding away, despite 2 dc.

rspca recommended keeping her in 4-6 weeks but she's already nearly snuck out twice!

how long would you keep yours in??

sacbina Mon 02-Feb-15 18:44:01

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 18:53:52

I'd usually be looking at about 3 weeks - and then letting her out hungry in the daytime (eg before breakfast) and going out with her for her first excursion. How long has she been with you?

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-Feb-15 18:59:55

YY at least 3 weeks. How has she snuck out?

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 19:03:41

The Lodger may have got out earlier ( blush) but then The Lodger is the sort of cat who would find himself in the snow outside Shangri La and end up inside and as Chief Lama. I would have been ultra careful with any other cat.

sacbina Mon 02-Feb-15 21:46:42

not even been with us a week!

but daily school run getting two kids in and out of house and new cat has spotted their slow meandering and made super speedy dashes for the door

been lucky so far. reluctant to lock her in whilst we're out, but probably the only way....

valrhona Mon 02-Feb-15 22:09:20

We kept ours in for four weeks (in summer) - it was hard going into lockdown mode in the summer! When they eventually did go out, they were fine (and yes I let them out before dinner so they were happy to come in at the clink of a fork on their saucers smile

sacbina Mon 02-Feb-15 22:17:57

she's currently sat on my lap purring away so I think I have been accepted by her! hopefully a good sign

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 22:23:16

Having a good bond does help enormously. (As does lousy weather outside, a heated house and some good nosh/treats to return to that first time.)

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-Feb-15 22:24:47

it is hard. I put post it notes all over the doors with CAT! on them because I was worried the DC would forget and just open the doors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now