Talk

Advanced search

Vet fees

(25 Posts)
JoanHickson Sun 01-Feb-15 18:44:09

Our beloved Cat got hit by a car. I am not insured. I am so scared of the bill. Can you give me an idea of price?

So far I know £130 for the Sunday call out. £250 to £350 for xray , pain relief and IV.

They have given a general, tried to relocate a dislocated hip and stiched her tummy.

Tomorrow another vet will try to relocate the hip via a general if not a op to shave off bone to relocate. There is concern the bladder is damaged too.

How much do you think this will add up to?

SacredHeart Sun 01-Feb-15 18:52:29

The hip and bladder are the two main issues. A friend of mine's cat had a hip replacement (on insurance thank goodness) and it cost nearly £3000 all told.

Hopefully if she just need relocation it will be under £1000. Fingers crossed.

JoanHickson Mon 02-Feb-15 05:26:12

I haven't slept over worry. I have emailed the vets and asked they not operate for fear taking that bone notch off will lead to dislocations in the future. The notch is there for a reason.

Fadingmemory Mon 02-Feb-15 06:00:40

Joan, So sorry to hear about your cat. Fadingcat had an operation last summer under GA to repair his diaphragm and put his abdominal organs back where they should be. The operation, a weekend in intensive care, medication, blood tests and two consultations came to £1500. I cannot tell if that would ultimately compare in any way.

Ask to pay in instalments. The practice will have had other pet owners in similar situations. Ask now - do not wait until you get the final bill. Showing willingness to come to an arrangement is far better than getting demands for payment.

Hope she is OK.

SquirmOfEels Mon 02-Feb-15 07:15:52

I am sorry to be blunt, but you need to find all the costs out from the vet before any further treatment.

If you can pay a lump sum, they may well accept an instalment plan for the balance.

If they cannot, then you need to move her asap to a charitable provider.

If you do not meet their criteria for assistance, then you may have to face PTS to avoid further suffering.

gamerchick Mon 02-Feb-15 07:21:44

I think you need to talk to your vet. I would hazard a guess that they will have seen people in the same situation a few times.

JoanHickson Mon 02-Feb-15 13:53:26

I had a chat with the vet. I couldn't sleep last night over the cat. The vet said she is in a bad way, the soft tissue is weeping and badly damaged. Too weak to keep the joint in place. She is on iv and morphine. He said best not visit her.

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 13:56:17

I'm so sorry, Joan. It doesn't sounds good. Is amputation a possibility?

JoanHickson Mon 02-Feb-15 14:01:53

There are a few options, they need her to get a bit better first.

She will likely be in all week he may let us have her if she is well enough before the op. I would prefer this for cat and dc. She's very into being with us and just wanted cuddles when she was found.

They said I can pay installments if need be and he thinks the bill will be roughly £1,400 with op and nursing .

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 14:06:54

Poor lass - and poor all of you.

If it's any consolation and if it comes to that, tripods generally do very well indeed on three legs. (Just in case you were worried about that aspect.)

Viewofthehills Mon 02-Feb-15 14:07:08

I have had a cat who had an amputation at the age of 14 and still did really wells and lived for 3 years after.
I also have a cat at the moment who had a femoral head excision which is similar to what your cat might need. If they do this there is no likelihood of further dislocation as the gap fills with fibrous tissue. She was only a year old and it hasn't stopped her from racing across fields catching small furry things.
I seem to remember each episode of care came in at around £600-£800, but the most recent was around 7 years ago so prices will have increased.
I would be most concerned about bladder damage to be honest.
How is it going now? I hope she recovers. x

Viewofthehills Mon 02-Feb-15 14:08:27

Sorry- cross posted. Fingers crossed.

JoanHickson Mon 02-Feb-15 14:15:43

There was no mention of bladder damage today, so all must be well there.

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 14:20:37

Best to ask the vet about that one if you're on the phone. They may simply not have mentioned remaining bladder issues if they weren't a primary concern.

The best of luck to her.

dingit Mon 02-Feb-15 14:23:24

Nothing to add, but fingers crossed for your cat thanks

chockbic Mon 02-Feb-15 15:22:02

Sorry to hear this.sad

Might the car driver pay something?

JoanHickson Tue 03-Feb-15 17:48:44

We may be able to get her home tomorrow. She isn't eating, has blood in her urine from a bruised bladder, is still weeping from wounds. She was brighter today and the Vet thinks she may be happy at home as she's traumatised. The operation would be next week. So I go tomorrow to try and get her to eat then if she does they will transfer her locally and I have to get a cage in the meantime.

cozietoesie Tue 03-Feb-15 20:44:15

Poor girl. Let us know how she is tomorrow.

Viewofthehills Tue 03-Feb-15 21:35:53

She might eat better at home. Are you taking tempting food with you? My old cats would always go for tuna.
Really hope it goes well and you get her home.

JoanHickson Tue 03-Feb-15 22:30:16

Tuna is a good idea. I was thinking fridge raiders.

valrhona Tue 03-Feb-15 22:40:45

Wishing you and your cat the best of luck Joan, hoping things pick up over the next few days flowers

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 12:15:36

sad crying I have to choose and both are horrible. I think I will choose to have her put down. I can't do that without other family being ok with that. They think she was crushed and the wound opened involving her anus and vulva now. I rushed her there this morning I nearly got sick at the sight of the wound. The antibiotics were not enough. They put her under this morning and gave me the choice. Heart broken for her. We worked so hard to help her recover and she was suffering all that time for nothing. I can't watch her suffer any more.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 12:26:45

I'm so very sorry, what a horrible decision. Has the vet given you a prognosis if you don't have her PTS?

I dread being in the situation you are in but you know you have given her every chance and it has to come down to what is best for her thanks

JoanHickson Wed 11-Feb-15 12:39:58

The damage was crush lack of oxygen to soft tissue that isn't evident at first. Wound split it's involved the anus and vulva. They put honey and partly closed the wound. It's going to take a lot of generals a long time and suffering. The cats leg is bandaged so she is on three legs.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 11-Feb-15 13:31:24

I've seen your other thread and you've defintely done the right thing for your poor kitty. She's lucky to have someone who cares enough to make the hardest decision of all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: