Talk

Advanced search

retained baby teeth in kitten

(8 Posts)
LetItBeMe Sat 31-Jan-15 22:03:19

hi there, my kittens are 5 months old and one appears to have both sets of teeth still. We've found a couple of teeth this week and I wonder if the adult ones are late to drop out. He's due to be neutered in February so I suppose if they haven't come out on their own they could be removed surgically then.

Has anyone else experienced this in a cat?

cozietoesie Sat 31-Jan-15 22:09:07

I think the baby teeth have got a month or two yet to come out and it can vary with individual animals. You said that you've found a couple this week? Sounds as if the process is well under way.

RubbishMantra Sat 31-Jan-15 22:43:45

Do you mean he has adult as well as baby teeth? Or that you've found discarded teeth about the house?

MKitten had an awful time teething and would paw at his mouth while sticking his poor little tongue out. Have a look inside his mouth for inflamed gums.

LetItBeMe Sun 01-Feb-15 06:47:47

Hiya,

I meant both. He has both in the top of his jaw (the big pointy ones!)
I found two of these baby teeth this week, they have a slight curve to them. I pressume they are his bottom ones and when i looked in his mouth i could see where a bottom baby tooth had come out.

Hopefully they are doing the natural thing then. They are are going to be nuetered this month nearer the end of the month but if there was a problem i guess the vet would just do it all under one aneasthetic.

I'll keep an eye out just in case infection sets in or he seems in pain. No obvious signs of pain atm.

RubbishMantra Sun 01-Feb-15 08:17:59

Poor little lad.

Can you get him to the vet? End of the month seems like a long time to wait. Cats mask pain very well.

LetItBeMe Mon 02-Feb-15 06:34:54

as of last night there was only one more to drop out so he's lost another during the course of yesterday.
It's quite wobbly. I don't think it's a problem and I certainly wouldn't leave him in pain, he'd be straight up to the vet if I was concerned.

The baby teeth are obviously ready to go and just falling out naturally.

cozietoesie Mon 02-Feb-15 09:23:32

That's good. I'd just keep a weather eye on them to check all is well and presumably your vet will check them out in the normal course of things also.

I'm fairly tooth-sensitive with cats - partly because I've had lousy teeth myself but also because The Lodger, at only 3 years old, was discovered to have not only dreadful tartar (probably partly due to bringing himself up on the streets and living mainly from the local Chinese restaurant bins) but a couple of middle lower teeth that had malformed in their growing in and had to come out to prevent serious future problems.

He bounced through the full GA dental without issue but ever since, it's something I've kept an eye on. Here's some general guidance on the topic for future reading - although it sounds as if Letkitten is fine.

LetItBeMe Wed 04-Feb-15 06:06:18

It's still not dropped out but he's booked in to be neutered next week so if it's still there I'll ask them to remove it. It's quite wobbly!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: