Talk

Advanced search

my cat likes to get into the toilet

(17 Posts)
jeanswithatwist Wed 28-Jan-15 23:00:49

i don't know what has come over my cat the last few weeks. she keeps jumping into the bathroom sink when i am cleaning my teeth and drinking from the tap. her latest fad is literally getting into the toilet and drinking the water.........beginningn to wonder if there is something wrong with her and yes, there is plenty of water for her/fresh in the house. she has always been a water fiend (attacks any glass/cup with water in as she just has to taste it but the loo thing is freaking me out)

Qwebec Thu 29-Jan-15 04:10:15

ugh! My cat does the same. I think it's just 'cause she is so intrigued by water. We gave her a bigger water bowl so she can play in it and we try to discipline ourselves to close the lid so that she does not sneak in when we are not there to shush her away.

jeanswithatwist Thu 29-Jan-15 07:07:28

here she is in action this morning although this time she didn't go all the way in....

Chavaloy Thu 29-Jan-15 07:25:21

I hope you keep your toilet nice and clean! Or was she originally an orange cat?!
Our cat demands the kitchen taps are turned on in the morning - he dips his paw in and washes!

frostyfingers Thu 29-Jan-15 08:39:40

I have a jug full of water next to the iron to top it up - cat prefers to go and dip his paws in it rather than use either of the two water bowls in the house. God knows why, and he's very vocal if the door is shut and he can't get to it.

jeanswithatwist Thu 29-Jan-15 10:20:16

i know it's weird but lovely. our cat HAS to have a taste out of any glass/cup that has water in. she often uses her paws, needless to say we have many spilt glasses of water

girliefriend Thu 29-Jan-15 12:22:17

My girl cat is like this, she loves the sink and will quite often choose to sleep there confused

She isn't really much of a lap cat unless you are going to the toilet then all of a sudden she can't get enough of you - weirdo grin

isseywithcats Thu 29-Jan-15 13:28:55

one of mine seems to prefer the toilet water to the nice bowl of fresh water two feet away from the toilet, i just make sure i dont use chemicals down the toilet and clean it with a scourer that i keep especially for the job, marigolds on good scour with scourer flush job done and no chance of killing the cat

RubbishMantra Thu 29-Jan-15 15:02:50

MKitten is a toilet cat.

MCat's far too dignified for any of those shenanigans, but loves drinking out of glasses. MKitten likes knocking them over.

MedusaIsHavingaBadHairday Thu 29-Jan-15 22:55:02

Obie makes me brush my teeth in the bath... smile

AlmaMartyr Thu 29-Jan-15 23:11:37

My smallcat is like this, she sits and watches us wash up, drinking the water. Gets into any cup of water left out, into the toilet etc. Obsessed! She has fresh water and drinks it but still keen on all water sources. My friend's cat is the same and we did wonder if it's a tortoiseshell thing. Probably not though!

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 29-Jan-15 23:16:22

Keep the lid closed.
Problem solved.

Binkybiscuit Thu 29-Jan-15 23:16:40

Our silly sod is similarly obsessed. Drinks out of anything and prefers drinking directly from the tap When I'm watering the garden in the summer he often comes running from wherever he's been hiding and watches in fascination.

RubbishMantra Fri 30-Jan-15 00:49:45

Obie's getting some impressive and handsome ear tufts there isn't he.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Jan-15 01:12:20

No quite normal. We used to have a German shelf toilet and our cat would stand on it and drink the water - yuck! Only when it was clean/flushed, though.

I have read on here that they instinctively won't drink water from too near their food source, because if they'd killed an animal it would be dangerous to drink water contaminated by the corpse. So try putting her drinking water away from her food and she might not.

There's a thing you can get to train your cat to use the toilet for poos etc like a litter tray grin - maybe that would discourage her if you want to?

jeanswithatwist Fri 30-Jan-15 07:14:34

i've seen the toilet training thing but i think i am happy with the way she is! i've been remembering to keep the lid down instead. she does drink the water from her bowl but she loves drinking from everywhere else too :0)

Qwebec Sat 31-Jan-15 01:18:26

Oh BertieBotts! We noticed that she drank loads from the bowl that was far from her food and rarely from the one close to it. I had figured she was being fancy. Thank you for the info!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: