Advanced search

"Soft Paws"?

(6 Posts)
emilywrites Mon 26-Jan-15 22:32:27

My beautiful 2 year old cat is scratch-happy. I love her, but she plays roughly and scratches furniture as well as her scratching post(s). My friend in the US sent me a photo of her cat wearing soft, coloured caps on her claws, which apparently you just attach to each claw with nail glue. My friend says her cat doesn't seem to notice/mind the caps and can still retract her claws, as well as scratch normally. Apparently the caps just fall off as the claws grow out. (also, the cat's "manicure" looks really cute). Friend said she will send me some if I want.

Have any of you tried these, or do you know anything about them?

Snakesandpropertyladders Mon 26-Jan-15 22:34:07

I've used them in my cat who scratches until she bleeds. She doesn't enjoy having them Putin but forgets about them after half an hour. They don't stay on for longer than a couple of weeks though.

emilywrites Mon 26-Jan-15 23:10:56

Did you apply them yourself, or did the vet do it?

Can you buy them in the UK?

gobbin Tue 27-Jan-15 13:54:01

Oh heck. Cats have claws, they scratch. Address her behaviour, not try to deal with the consequences in such an unnatural way.

If you haven't already, get a cat toy on a pole (such as Da Bird - cheaper versions are available if you look). Dig around online for advice on stopping cats from clawing furniture.

FushandChups Tue 27-Jan-15 14:59:04

I'm with Gobbin - it's just something they do. You can buy a sort of repellant to apply to your furniture if you must but I think putting these covers on because your sofa is being scratched or it looks cute doesn't seem right to me.

FushandChups Tue 27-Jan-15 15:00:18

Meant to add my cat loves those corrugated cardboard box things you can buy for scratching... perhaps a new 'toy' could distract her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now