Talk

Advanced search

Leaving my cat for a few hours longer than usual

(25 Posts)
Bumblebee87 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:34:45

Me and my partner have recently adopted a cat. We've had him for about a months and I just love him to bits.

We both work full time. One week he will finish before me and come home and feed the cat, give him cuddles etc. and the other week he will finish late, and I will leave work a bit earlier and bring my work home with me.

Normally, when my partner is on the late shift I aim to be home no later than 5. Half four if possible but it depends on what is happening in work.

Tomorrow, I've got tickets to see a show. I was going to come home, feed my cat and give him some cuddles before leaving again. There's now a meal involved that I would love to go to. However, if I went to the meal I would not have time to come home first, I would have to go straight from work.

My partner is normally home for half seven but there's a new manager in so he could be finishing anywhere as late as half 8, even later if we're really unlucky.

He's a really loveable cuddly cat, and I do think he misses us when we're out, so I can't bare the thought of leaving him for so long. I should add that my partner leaves for work at 8am, so he'd be alone for 12 hours. I don't think I could do that.

I think my minds made up that I won't be able to go to the meal because I couldn't bare him to be alone for so long, but I don't know whether I'm being a bit silly.

What would other cat owners do? Am I overreacting and in reality he would be fine? Or am I doing the right thing and being a good cat owner? I do love him very much!

hugoagogo Mon 26-Jan-15 19:37:00

He will be fine. smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 26-Jan-15 19:37:20

Leave him plenty of crunchies down and he'll be fine. My three wouldn't notice if we were gone for 12 hours tbh

PenelopePitstops Mon 26-Jan-15 19:37:38

Oh fgs leave him. Can you imagine how your friends will feel, let down because of a cat. I know how I'd feel.

Picastyle Mon 26-Jan-15 19:37:59

He'll be fine! Make sure he has fresh water and some food and access to outside or a litter tray. Leave a radio on for company if you like.

Bumblebee87 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:42:17

Oh, ok. I did think my friends might think I was a bit sad. Thank you! I was expecting quite different replies.
He's just such a loveable cat, he likes cuddles and he likes to know you're there.

I might be slightly over attached to him. blush

I think you're all probably right though. I tend to feel quite guilty easily too, so that might be part of it.

BIWI Mon 26-Jan-15 19:42:58

He will be perfectly fine! Go and enjoy your evening grin

(Also a cat owner)

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 26-Jan-15 19:43:08

It's a cat I assure you he won't care less! If my friend cancelled on coming out for a meal because of a cat I wouldn't be impressed. Seriously it's lovely that you adore him so much but he will be fine.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 26-Jan-15 19:43:51

x post smile

Bumblebee87 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:43:59

I was genuinely considering asking a neighbour to check on him. I'm not going to, but it did cross my mind! I'm too attached to my cat aren't I? blush

Picastyle Mon 26-Jan-15 19:45:06

Yup, but it's lovely smile

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 19:46:31

He'll be fine. He'll likely take himself off for an extra snooze and then rouse himself as he hears your key in the door ready to do the whole 'Oh woe is poor, neglected me!' bit. grin

Give him an extra cuddle and taste treat when you get in and that will help you him feel better.

Have a good evening out. smile

Bumblebee87 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:47:47

Thanks Picastyle smile I never used to even like cats that much shock but he's my little furry baby blushgrin

BirdintheWings Mon 26-Jan-15 19:48:49

My cat has just slept the entire day, ignoring me completely, only to rouse up and do the woe-is-me act at DS1 (his favourite person) when he came home.

Bumblebee87 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:51:46

I think that's what he is like. I'm pretty sure he sleeps all day whilst I'm at work, but as soon as my key is in the lock he's at the door meowing, which is just lovely, but it pulls at my heart strings a bit and I feel guilty for 'abandoning' him blush

Picastyle Mon 26-Jan-15 19:53:24

He's just chatting about his day! Mine doesn't stop and he's a really old chap and totally deaf. I still chat away to him though.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 19:54:06

Of course you do. But - nice though that is - you're being set up for it.

grin

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:58:56

You might get a it of a sulk when you get back! We get a "I've been fine" look and find he's broken into all the places he's not allowed in.

You're dp will have to take some cat treats home to make up for it.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 20:54:49

I have this vision of ASBOcat with a jemmy and a swag bag for his ill-gotten gains.

grin

awaywego1 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:09:15

bumble that's so lovely but you should go out. I'm exactly the same..totally addicted to my newish cat and really hate leaving her but tbh I think sometimes she genuinely enjoys the peace and quiet. I've been off work sick for the last few weeks and haven't really left the house and I genuinely think she's a bit miffed that she doesn't get any time to herself.

BigPawsBrown Mon 26-Jan-15 23:15:26

I have a very needy cat, so I do understand how you feel.

I work very long hours. My boyfriend slightly less so but goes to the gym. Our cat is on his own (no cat flap) 8-8 a lot of the time. Sometimes 8-11. We have left him overnight too, with an automatic cat feeder. To be honest he just sleeps! If I come home from work at 5pm which has happened once due to office refurb he can barely stand and open his eyes he has been so deeply asleep!grin

I should say we are quite lazy people and I'm a writer too so we are with the cat all day every day most weekends!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 26-Jan-15 23:28:26

Thing is, cats can't actually tell the time, so as long as the food lasts they really don't know if you've been out for 4 hours or 8 or 12

So yes, he'll be fine & he won't know any different smile

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 23:32:30

Seniorboy can tell the time - to within about 10 minutes! (He does like his bed though. smile)

RubbishMantra Tue 27-Jan-15 00:08:00

He'll be fine. I have a needy cat too. He became less so when I got him a kitten brother. Understand that's a drastic measure though.

Have a big bag of Dreamies ready for when you get home and give him a big cuddle. smile

teenagetantrums Tue 27-Jan-15 19:16:43

honesty he will be fine, my two are normally only left alone for 8 hours at max, due to different school/uni/work finishing times but sometimes they are left for 12/14 hours,and on occasion overnight, they just sleep a bit longer O reckon. We have dry food and water down all the time so no regular feeding time here though, they get wet food in the morning and sometimes before bed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: