Talk

Advanced search

Urine crystals

(10 Posts)
Everythingsgonegreen Mon 26-Jan-15 17:38:45

Anyone any experience of urine crystals?

Our beautiful 4 year old mainecoon boy is at the vets tonight and has been confirmed as having crystals in his urine- hopefully home tomorrow on diet measures to control this.

Anyone any experience?

SunshineBossaNova Mon 26-Jan-15 23:19:57

One of my lovely boys had urine crystals, and needed a minor op to remove them.

He was put on meds for a while after the op and I completely overhauled his diet. I also bought a water fountain to encourage him to drink more.

He lived another 8 or so years and had no further problems. Good luck smile

FushandChups Mon 26-Jan-15 23:45:34

My boy has just been diagnosed today too smile

I have special food (Royal Canin urinary s/o dry stuff) and she is confident this will dissolve them over time but he will probably be on that diet forevermore!

Just make sure he drinks a lot (my cat does love a drink) and he should be fine.

It is horrid though.. can I ask how you knew? My boy started humping and licking but vet said that was a really odd symptom - and we've been back and forth to the vets to get this diagnosed over the last month!

FushandChups Mon 26-Jan-15 23:45:35

My boy has just been diagnosed today too smile

I have special food (Royal Canin urinary s/o dry stuff) and she is confident this will dissolve them over time but he will probably be on that diet forevermore!

Just make sure he drinks a lot (my cat does love a drink) and he should be fine.

It is horrid though.. can I ask how you knew? My boy started humping and licking but vet said that was a really odd symptom - and we've been back and forth to the vets to get this diagnosed over the last month!

thecatneuterer Tue 27-Jan-15 00:39:45

Fush - I can't believe it took them that long to diagnose it when that is what they were looking for in the first place.

OP - he should be fine. Often, after the initial treatment and bladder flushing, the special food is only necessary for three months. After that, provided he sticks to wet food mainly, with the occasional can of the special food as a preventative measure, he shouldn't have a recurrence.

Everythingsgonegreen Tue 27-Jan-15 19:21:11

He's home -had anti biotics crystal zapper pills and pain killers but still almost constantly in and out of tray - been advised to switch to wet diet which obviously he is just not keen on. He has been on dry all his days on advice of breeder.

He seems so miserable and agitated- he is sitting beside me just now looking really forlorn.

KareninsGirl Wed 28-Jan-15 08:35:13

Please consider raw feeding. dry food is the very worst thing you can give a cat with urinary issues.

hope kitty feels better soon whatever you decide x

FushandChups Wed 28-Jan-15 14:08:45

You could always give him the special urinary dry food that I have for my kitty... He was also on a dry diet and whilst would eat wet, this was the best choice for my pocket.

It is Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and comes in big bags online (about £45 for 6kgs)...

Hope he's ok thanks

FushandChups Wed 28-Jan-15 14:12:09

Can't do links but hopefully you can copy & paste this:

http://m.medicanimal.com/Product/I0045535?deeplink=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medicanimal.com%2FRoyal-Canin-Veterinary-Diet-Feline-Urinary-S-O-LP-34%2Fp%2FI0000470&referral=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk

You can get big ole bags too grin

Everythingsgonegreen Thu 29-Jan-15 16:02:51

Update -he seems much happier is tolerating small amounts of wet food and is eyeing suspiciously the water fountain I braved the snow to go and buy him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: