Talk

Advanced search

Just brought home new kitten!!

(19 Posts)
ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 14:09:41

We brought our lovely Maine Coon boy home today!
He's settling in nicely and has had some food and is exploring. He loves his cat tree! He hasn't used the litter tray yet but we keep showing him where it is.
He wasn't scared when ds (4) came home from nursery and has played with him too.
So so happy!

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 14:20:13

smile

How old is he?

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 14:47:59

He's 14 weeks old.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 14:52:00

As I said to another poster with an ever-growing MC, rather my grocery bill than yours.

He's quite gorgeous. smile

RubbishMantra Mon 26-Jan-15 14:52:11

Judging by how sure of himself he looks in the third picture, he'll have you under the paw in no time! grin

He's lovely. smile

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 14:55:06

Thanks very much! DH away to get ds1 (6) from school. He's having a nap on the shelf of his tree at the moment. Still no litter tray. Is that normal because everything is new?

chockbic Mon 26-Jan-15 15:01:34

Look at him on his post. Good kitty.

I'm sure he'll be furnishing you with ablutions shortly.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 15:04:12

They can cross their legs for the longest time - especially if they feel the slightest bit unsettled or nervous. You'll be lucky, today, if you get a pee before late this evening.

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 15:12:23

Ok thanks I will keep an eye on him! Will show him the tray after his nap again.
He's so friendly and will let me pick him up and has let my 4 year old stroke him. So happy! Did I mention that already!?
He has his vet check tomorrow with our vet. What do they do at that appointment? (Sorry for all the questions I'm a cat noob!)

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 15:13:37

Napping <3

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 15:25:27

Depends on the vet and his back history I suspect. Is this his first vet visit/is he due any shots?

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 15:48:40

He's had both vaccinations it's a booking in check up.

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 26-Jan-15 15:51:29

Aw so lovely! smile

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 16:11:43

I would guess that if the vet is having a lazy day, they might question you about clearing genetic issues with his breeder but a first check in could well be only a weigh in, temperature, and a good (if judicious) poke around.

Depends on the vet really. A registration visit is often largely about getting the admin out of the way with the front of house staff. (Practice pet plans, insurance, previous vet etc etc.)

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 16:13:51

Thanks cozie smile

RubbishMantra Mon 26-Jan-15 16:15:54

If he's had all his shots, the vet visit will just be a sort of meet and greet, where they all go gooey over your lovely kitten. grin

They'll ask you about worm/flea treatments, which I'm sure the breeder gave you a record of. They'll have a look in his mouth, for colour of gums, teeth etc. And a look in his ears. Oh, and they'll weigh him. Nothing that will alarm your little lad

MKittten had 3 vet visits in his first couple of months of living with me not that I'm a worry-wort or anything. Poor little thing, he had an awful time with teething, he'd stick his tongue out as far as he could, stand on his hind legs and use both arms to paw at his mouth. He's a bit of a drama queen though. He's a funny one in that he actually likes going to the vet because he loves meeting people and being made a fuss over, funny little thing that he is.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 16:17:54

Huh! He has Siamese back in his lineage somewhere, that's why! (Attention seekers the lot of them.)

RubbishMantra Mon 26-Jan-15 16:38:11

Indeed Cozie. I've been sickly the last few days, and he keeps running into my bedroom and tapping me on the shoulder as if to say play with meeee! In which case I give in and get the Flying Frenzy out.

Ooh, that reminds me OP, the toy I mentioned above is brilliant for tiring bouncy kittens out. Good for interactive play between kitty and children without bringing fingers and toes into the equation. wink

ophiotaurus Mon 26-Jan-15 17:10:02

I bought a flying frenzy on advice of another thread. He loves it! Hoping to tire him out so he sleeps well!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: