Advanced search

Little Cat has upset tummy. Any advice?

(12 Posts)
EustaciaVye Sat 24-Jan-15 18:27:58

LittleCat is 1 1/4. She has had a couple if upset tummies recently. The first I realised was due to her drinking all the leftover milk out of Dds cereal bowl.
The second was unexplained but she is a real scavenger so will eat any old crap. We can't leave any food or drinks out. I have caught her drinking leftover tea out of mugs and licking any saucepans left out.

She also drinks puddle water and catches squirrels and birds shock

So she now has her 3rd bout of diarrhoea in two months. We are keeping her in, have removed food and left out lots of water. If she can go through the night then I guess I can give some rice/chicken tomorrow? She normally eats dried complete food - Iams or Royal Canin.

I think I should take her to the vet for a check up but expect he will just tell me to stop her eating dodgy stuff so I am not sure where to go from here...

chockbic Sat 24-Jan-15 18:29:40

She might well be hungry so up her food intake.

Can you give her some wet food?

Stick with the bland stuff until she's dried up.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 24-Jan-15 18:30:46

Just chicken, rice isn't needed.

Could you confine all food to be eaten at the table?. It's easier to clean everything up the .

EustaciaVye Sat 24-Jan-15 18:32:43

She has constant access to food. Eats a little but seems to want human food more. She does have wet food sometimes but rather try and go for the kids leftover ham sandwich.

Unidentifieditem Sat 24-Jan-15 18:33:36

My vet suggested science plan (I think) chicken and rice sachets when our cat had the squits. I'm sure homemade would work

EustaciaVye Sat 24-Jan-15 18:33:49

Yes, since the last bout all leftover food is cleaned up straightaway so this incident must be because of something she has had outside.

EustaciaVye Sat 24-Jan-15 18:37:07

She is also wormed and the vet felt she was in good health at her check up a few months ago

RubbishMantra Sat 24-Jan-15 18:58:34

That's good she's wormed - but if she's eating a lot of prey, then perhaps she needs worming more often? (Speak to the vet, obviously.)

It's difficult when they're so keen on human food. One afternoon MCat strolled in, nonchalantly flicked the bread off a ham sandwich with his claws and carefully pulled the ham out.

EustaciaVye Sat 24-Jan-15 19:19:02

Thanks. My vet is open Sundays so I will call him tomorrow.

KareninsGirl Sun 25-Jan-15 14:47:34

Just give her a little lightly boiled chicken until her tummy settles.

footflapper Sun 25-Jan-15 14:55:17

My naughty little 8mo cat gets a bad gut when she's drank milk from left over cereal too! & she prefers drinking from our cups & the sink instead of her water bowl!

EustaciaVye Sun 25-Jan-15 21:24:07

Thanks. The vet said it was to be expected if she scavenges and to see how she is today. If she gets lethargic I am to take her in.

Seems ok today. Naughty little kitty.
She would drink from our mugs or the shower tray over a water bowl any day. I have tried plastic, ceramic and metal and it doesn't male any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now