Talk

Advanced search

Anyone around who can tell me it's all ok?

(11 Posts)
dtsmum Fri 23-Jan-15 21:05:28

My gorgeous girl cat (12 years old) went in to have a tooth out and a descale today. Picked her up at 6.30pm and she's so happy to be at home! As soon as she got out of her cat carrier she was looking for food! Bless her smile
She's ok in herself, purring, using the litter tray and her scratching post.
However, I've just noticed, as she sat in front of me, the vets have shaved the fur off both of her front legs (I know this is for the IV and bloods etc) but one of her legs looks swollen.....it's twice the size of the other one and so is that paw.
We also found out the pre-eliminary blood tests showed her kidneys aren't great.
The vet did say she was a bit of a cow getting bloods so they had to sedate her. Do you think it's just the fact she fought with them? Or should I be concerned?

Stillyummy Fri 23-Jan-15 21:15:49

Call the vet tomoro morning and tell them. They may ask you to bring her in for a check up. Is she limping?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:17:42

I'd ring the vet, they'll have a nurse answering calls overnight. I'd want to know if that's normal, can she walk on it?.

I'm sure cats look at the clock and think "ooh surgerys closed, commence illness".

GrumbelinaPicklebottom Fri 23-Jan-15 21:21:45

Any chance you could call the vet? They may have someone on after hours who can check the notes to see what happened while she was under anaesthetic.

Just a guess - What may have happened is that she initially had an IV in one leg, but it burst through the vein and fluid was accumulating in the tissues surrounding it - you can't use that vein any longer, so they would have had to get IV access in the other leg. this would explain the swelling, and the fact that both legs have been shaved.

If it was her kidneys, you would usually expect generalised swelling, not just one leg.

dtsmum Fri 23-Jan-15 21:24:02

No, not at all. She's jumped up and down from quite big heights (she loves sitting on the dining room table, bad I know grin) to be honest the more I think about it.....the vet said she was fractious when they tried to take bloods and then they had to sedate her. I think the swollen leg was the one they tried first, the other under sedation?
I'll definitely see how it is in the morning,
If I sleep tonight lol! Why do pets make us feel so powerless and soppy! grin
Thank you x

dtsmum Fri 23-Jan-15 21:29:08

X-posted there! Thank you all! grum that's what I'm thinking too. She's my baby, she's been with me through so much. Losing 3 very main family members (my Mum included) the thought of losing her cripples me sad x

GrumbelinaPicklebottom Fri 23-Jan-15 22:25:52

I totally relate to your concern Dtsmum. My lovely siamese girl came home one day with one paw double the size of the other. I was distraught thinking she was not long for this earth, but she had been swatting bees (silly girl that she was), and gotten stung. She was back to normal (and swatting bees again) the next day.

Please let us know how your precious girl gets on.

dtsmum Sat 24-Jan-15 11:22:56

Her leg is back to normal size this morning, thankfully! She's now looking at me like I'm not even worthy of being on the bottom of her paw! grin
Thank you everyone x

cozietoesie Sat 24-Jan-15 11:40:18

That's good - a GA is always a little worrying. Is she eating/drinking OK?

dtsmum Sat 24-Jan-15 18:39:47

She's eating fine, she doesn't drink. I mentioned that to the vet, she's never been a cat that likes water/milk. She's being very affectionate with everybody, keeps headbutting us all! She's not very active but I think the painkillers she's on are making her tired. We're back at the vets on Monday so not too long before she's checked over again.

cozietoesie Sat 24-Jan-15 18:42:31

If she's eating wet food, she'll likely be getting her moisture requirements from that - cats' bodies are very efficient processors.

Good luck to her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: