Talk

Advanced search

Kitten does not like wet food!

(6 Posts)
Hellokittycat Wed 21-Jan-15 08:00:13

Our kitten eats very little wet food. I give her a small size tin of kitten applaws brand food twice a day and she immediately has a couple of mouthfuls but doesn't eat much more than that. She often goes straight to her bowl of dried kitten food and has some of that in preference. She eats a good amount each day of dried food.
Is this ok? Shall I try a different brand of wet food? Or does she just prefer the dry stuff and stick to that??

givemushypeasachance Wed 21-Jan-15 10:00:14

I'd say worth trying a different brand - I have two adult rescue boys and they came from the centre with the advice to feed good quality biscuits and "wet food in jelly"; tried them with numerous different brands and types, and established that they like Felix in jelly/gravy best, and Aldi's slightly posher sachets in jelly, and are not keen on pate types of food where they can't lick the tasty bit off first! I actually tried them on some Applaws recently since I would prefer if they ate a better quality wet food, but one nibbled it a bit and the other wouldn't even lick it.

Zooplus is a good online source of cat food with foreign brands such as Bozita and Animonda Carny which aren't too expensive but have high meat content.

I also partially feed them a raw diet which the boys enjoy - it's not for everyone, but I'd always say worth considering. Lots of info on the net if you want to look into it.

iklboo Wed 21-Jan-15 10:07:50

If she gives you A Look when you feed her, she doesn't like the food. I'd get a couple of single packs of different ones (Felix, Whiskas etc) and see which one she prefers.

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Jan-15 16:00:05

Both of mine have gone through stages of loving wet food and disliking dry and vice-versa.

MCat went off Applaws, but goes mental for Cosma, which is similar. I get it from Zooplus.

Just ensure she has a constant source of fresh water to drink.

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Jan-15 16:36:02

Also, MKitten loved Animonda Carny. Now he gets angry at meal-times and has tantrums because he's being fed stuff with offal and tubes in it, and MCat gets delicious lobster and caviar Cosma.

Cats are fickle.

Hellokittycat Sat 31-Jan-15 20:20:26

Tried a few brands now and she is very pleased with Felix so will go for that going forward !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: