Talk

Advanced search

Mind blowing trip to the vets today

(13 Posts)
BatCrapCrazy Mon 19-Jan-15 20:34:00

So I took Elsa and Jake to the vets today for a pre-op check before being neutered next week. I was concerned that the cats are older than the previous owners told us (they told us 4.5 months) and that elsa may already be pregnant as she's getting very fat and is very grumpy and protective of her food.
As it turns out, Elsa is a boy with only one bollock and Jake is a girl who is infact pregnant.
So I had to leave my poor babies there so that tomorrow boy cat can have his one bollock chopped off whilst they have a fish around for the other one and the girl cat gets her bits and her babies taken away (which is absolutely heartbreaking but Jake and Elsa are brother and sister so babies are likely to be deformed). And the vet estimates the cats are about 7-8 months.

Poor babies sad

cozietoesie Mon 19-Jan-15 20:54:27

Oh my. So Elsa wasn't getting fat and grumpy, s/he was getting muscly and 'tommy' ?

Shall you be keeping the names?

And do their previous owners have any other cats left at home?

RubbishMantra Mon 19-Jan-15 21:05:06

How upsetting.

There was a recent thread on here about kittens being wrongly sexed, or being hermaphrodite.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:12:30

Oh dear, that's quite a shock!.

Right decision though.

GRW Mon 19-Jan-15 21:14:15

I am sorry to hear this. I adopted a 7 month old kitten who turned out to be in the early stages of pregnancy, and she has recovered well from being spayed last week. I know it was the best thing for her, as she was too small to have kittens safely. I hope your two will make a good recovery.

hoobypickypicky Mon 19-Jan-15 21:18:33

Just know you're doing the most wise and kind thing and keep repeating that to yourself until Jake (Jackie?) and Elsa (Elliott?) are back purring by your side. It won't be long now and soon it will be all over.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Jan-15 21:22:05

Elliott is good!

bettyboop1970 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:38:54

Oh dear, talk about a shock! I' m sure they will be fine. Best wishes to you all.

thecatneuterer Tue 20-Jan-15 01:35:42

Oh dear. What a surprise. You're absolutely right to go ahead with the spay though. Completely the right decision.

BatCrapCrazy Tue 20-Jan-15 07:04:22

Luckily jake and elsa are pretty much identical except for the recent weight gain so we will just switch their names accordingly and the kids will never know. Feels so cruel that poor Jake/elsa will have to have her babies taken. She/he has been so sweet and cuddly the last couple of weeks.

cozietoesie Tue 20-Jan-15 08:52:49

That becoming sweet and cuddly is likely just her maturing into her adult character and nothing to do with any pregnancy. You're doing absolutely the right thing.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 20-Jan-15 08:55:26

Oh how upsetting sad

you are doing the right thing though. I hope all goes well for the operation. flowers

cozietoesie Tue 20-Jan-15 23:38:20

How did they get on?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: