Talk

Advanced search

Best way to settle in new adult cat?

(9 Posts)
Sazzle41 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:31:57

I'm adopting a 4 year old gorgeous grey tabby girl and worried she will find it hard to settle with a new owner. Any tips , like how long before i let her out etc? Chicken treats/toys to help bonding? I was a bit gobsmacked they are giving her up tbh, she is so sweet natured and friendly. They told me it 'wasnt an option to keep her as the wife is pregnant'..... After seeing the tabby cat defend its family's toddler from a dog on You Tube i really feel for her/that seems harsh, but at least she will have a human to absolutely worship her now !

cozietoesie Fri 16-Jan-15 12:49:27

What sort of household/family/other pets/daily routine do you have yourselves?

shuan Fri 16-Jan-15 13:52:07

Hi sazzle I have had my lovely 4 year old rescue cat for one week. My cat was abandoned by her owner and didn't settle well in foster care so has had a difficult time. She is very affectionate at times wanting lots of attention and at other times goes away to sit on a bed and sleep. I think the main thing with my cat is she needs somewhere to go when she wants to be alone but also lots of attention when she is ready for it.

Your new cat is lucky to have such a caring new owner.

juneybean Fri 16-Jan-15 13:54:09

I adopted a rescue just after Christmas and we went with the "just fit in" settling in. I didn't change anything, showed her the toilet and gave her some food. But she's very cuddly and sweet tempered so it would be different with a scatty cat.

UnrelatedToElephants Fri 16-Jan-15 14:01:27

My 3 year old girl stayed indoors for the first month - is she used to a tray?

Other than that, lots of cosy tucked away places, and high up accessible places to look down on you from, and leave her to it. She'll come to you when she's ready and settled.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:05:50

Tbh op if I was pg I can imagine mil asking when the cat was going.

What have you got for her so far?.

Sazzle41 Fri 16-Jan-15 16:47:15

Thanks for all the advice. So far i have got a snuggly fleece pet bed for the warm corner near the radiator, a slightly bigger and covered pet bed for more privacy if she wants a hidey hole at first, lots of toys and a litter tray and treats.

I'm studying and work part time so i can arrange to be around a lot til she settles: and I want to make it as calm and stress free for her as i can. Thanks all again for the tips. So excited to be having a small furry person around again!

cozietoesie Fri 16-Jan-15 17:05:17

She'll be fine. Cats often like calm and generally adore routine so just go about your normal business and see how you get on. This board is always here for any problems but I don't expect you'll get any.

Oh - and you need to post a pic of her when she arrives. That's a rule!

smile

StarsOfTrackAndField Fri 16-Jan-15 20:13:36

Make sure she's got somewhere private she can go and hide (under a bed, a wadrobe) until she's found her feet and somewhere high up where she can sit and observe things. Also keep her litter and her food as far apart from one another as possible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: