Talk

Advanced search

My cat goes to be spayed this week. How to make her comfortable after?

(39 Posts)
HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 13-Jan-15 14:38:39

What do you think she would like? how can I make it easier for her and how long generally until she's feeling ok?

Thanks.

I am anxious. I know it's routine and not a big deal but I know she's going to be in pain and anything I can do to make her feel a bit better would be great.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 14:43:03

Yes it's routine although any GA carries a risk - but many cats sail through it without worrying. Maybe she'll be one of those? Nice nosh for when she gets back and try to arrange to be in that evening so that you can keep a watchful eye upon her on return. That's about it in my experience.

Kim82 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:45:16

It all depends on how they react to the anaesthetic. I got my 2 females spayed on the same day and when I brought them home one slunk off and hid under the bed and slept til the next morning, the other went mental and was bouncing round the room and trying to climb up the curtains - I was terrified she was going to burst her stitches!

With the sulky one I put food, water and a litter tray within easy reach for her and left her to come to us when she was ready for plenty cuddles.

With the hyper one I spent the evening following her round, lifting her off high surfaces as I didn't want her jumping and she eventually settled on the sofa and was back to normal the next day.

As I said I think wait to see how your cat feels and play it by ear.

As an aside when my male cats were neutered they slept the rest of the day, fell out with me and wouldn't come near me for another 2 or 3 days but then forgot about it and went back to normal.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 14:50:39

Mine have always come back from the vet acting completely stupid (as if trying to 'walk off' the anaesthetic) and doing stupid jumps etc and then conked out for the night at about 21.00. I keep an eye on them, ensure the place is warm and fairly dark/quiet so that they can go to sleep if they want - and generally take them to bed with a book or fairly quiet movie.

Next morning they're usually up and bouncing.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 13-Jan-15 16:00:26

thanks folks. I appreciate it.

Badgerlady Wed 14-Jan-15 07:00:12

My two kittens (girls) were spayed yesterday. When I picked them up from the vets they were very lively and desperate to get out of the cat box.

I was told to keep them quiet and warm for the evening. The badger kittens did not get this message and spent the first hour at home running about and pouncing like maniacs. They did not want strokes or cuddles.

The only noticeable difference was that they couldn't jump as high as normal. They would attempt a rather pathetic hop and then look pleadingly to be picked up.

By 8.00pm they were zonked and spent the rest of the evening curled up together on DH's lap. Only really woke up this morning when they seem to be their normal selves.

Only other tip i was given is to support their hindquarters when picking them up.

Good luck!

bigbluestars Wed 14-Jan-15 07:08:44

My cat acted as if nothing had happened. Glad to be home she seemed in no pain at all, although we were given painkillers. She managed to pull her stitches out out on day 3, ( she only had 4 stitches), but they did not require re-suturing as vet said she had healed sufficiently. In all it was a minor thing for the cat.

RubbishMantra Wed 14-Jan-15 10:39:18

Another one who's cat went hyper and bonkers after the procedure. He was also ravenously hungry.

I wonder how the same drugs can affect them so differently?

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 11:00:39

But are they the same drugs? I have a memory that there are several different types of anaesthesia which might be used for procedures depending on such things as the nature of the procedure, the type and breed of the animal and its age and condition (quality of heart, liver, kidney function etc) - and also, perhaps, the particular experiences/expertise of the vet and their team. Perhaps one of the vets who post might comment?

(Having said which, different humans react differently to the same drugs so the same could hold true for other animals.)

awaywego1 Thu 15-Jan-15 10:11:38

My kitten is getting spayed as well next week..it seems like a big op but doesn't seem like a big deal for them. Still anxious though..It's a good job I don't have any dc I'd be a nervous wreck!

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Thu 15-Jan-15 20:00:19

It is nerve wracking away! She'll be fine but in ensuring she doesn't have kittens - you'll be having them! grin

My cat (Toffee) had her surgery today. We picked her up this afternoon. She hasn't had anything to eat or drink. Is that normal? I plan to phone the vet in the morning if she hasn't had anything. Or is that waiting too long?

cozietoesie Thu 15-Jan-15 20:21:46

She's probably zonked still. Has she got water and food available if she want them?

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Thu 15-Jan-15 20:28:24

yes, I've put them next to her. She isn't interested though.

bonzo77 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:35:29

Mine wouldn't eat initially. She went totally loopy. Jumping and bouncing. Luckily the stitches held. The following day she was back to normal, though the lampshade didn't stop her getting out the cat flap hmm.

hiddenhome Thu 15-Jan-15 22:29:19

Mine was done this morning, but she's going crazy trying to do stuff and play. She must be tired, but she refuses to settle down confused

cozietoesie Thu 15-Jan-15 22:43:57

I'm surprised she hasn't fallen asleep in her tracks. Have you got the place fairly dark and quiet to encourage her?

hiddenhome Thu 15-Jan-15 22:56:23

She's flaked out now. I made her a cosy area on the chair, but she's chosen the floor on a rug. I'll spend the night in the lounge to keep her company.

cozietoesie Thu 15-Jan-15 23:25:05

I've sometimes had the thought, watching them, that if they're feeling not quite the full shilling/a little dopey, they go into some sort of high octane overdrive - a sort of 'If you're moving, they can't get you'.

Sleep well, both of you.

hiddenhome Fri 16-Jan-15 07:36:11

Yes, that's the impression I get cozie.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 16-Jan-15 07:37:49

thanks.

Hope yours had a good night, hidden.

This morning she drank. We were pretty desperate by then! My husband slept on the sofa to keep an eye on her and stop her from wanting to get upstairs (she gets lonely at night!)

A bit later she had a bite of food. I'd put her painkiller in it so I hope she ate enough to get benefit of it.

She keeps wanting our eldest to play with her. I've said no playing for a week. She's following him round, giving him sad eyes.

hiddenhome Fri 16-Jan-15 11:07:45

Brave post-op kitties grin

cozietoesie Fri 16-Jan-15 11:24:07

Glad the girls are fine.

smile

awaywego1 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:32:44

Glad they are both doing well smile

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Jan-15 18:52:28

Bless their little furry socks. smile

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 16-Jan-15 18:58:54

Thank you. smile
How's your little one, Hidden?
Mine is eating little bits, is drinking out of my glass but not her bowl (I have NO idea why but I don't care as long as she's drinking grin ) and has been so cuddly. Calling for me to go sit down and hold her. I am worried about hurting her but she just wants to sit on me.

She's still trying to get my eldest to play with her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: