Advanced search

Why do my cats play fight in front of me?

(17 Posts)
Gingermum Tue 13-Jan-15 13:09:55

Stan and Bunty will often have a wrestling match but only when I'm there. There's a lot of grunting, rolling and pauses for a quick wash, but I've watched them carefully and there's no ear flattening or screeching so it's just play.

But why do they only do it in front of me? They have the run of the flat at night and never wrestle then.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 13:13:32

Maybe they feel freer to have at each other if 'Mummy Cat' is there to step in and stop any serious roughhousing?

Corygal Tue 13-Jan-15 13:22:39

Stan and little Bunty terribly sweet... Maybe they are showing off their prowess.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 13:25:26

Ah - showing off. Now there's a good explanation!

RubbishMantra Tue 13-Jan-15 14:05:00

Another vote for showing off their MadSkillz.

RubbishMantra Tue 13-Jan-15 14:06:33

Oh, and they're very prettyful and have excellent names. smile

Gingermum Tue 13-Jan-15 19:00:22

Thank you for your input ladies. Cozie I never thought they might be showing off in front of me. RubbishMantra - alas, little Bunty has a heart of darkness. She shows me nowt but contempt and grumbles if I pick her up, but smarms up to my male next door neighbour!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 13-Jan-15 21:32:58

How do you know they don't do it while your out?. I don't know what mine gets up to.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 21:41:51

Other than attack toilet rolls, Fluffy. Other than attack toilet rolls.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 21:42:20

PS - I think we need the pic.

iklboo Tue 13-Jan-15 21:46:12

Yep. Showing off for mummy. The 'stop & wash' bit is a clue. They're probably expecting critique & scores a la Strictly.

Gingermum Tue 13-Jan-15 23:59:17

Ha! I'll sit there with a cats bum mouth and score card then, and try to get some decent photos.

Fluffy I know because at night they just curl up together. The flat is quite small so I'd hear them grunting and tumbling about if they were doing MadSkillz!

RubbishMantra Wed 14-Jan-15 00:39:54

Or maybe they're attempting to entice you to join in the rufty-tufty cat happy-slapping? In a sort of "hey mum, look how fun this is!"

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Jan-15 18:49:47

I was in when this happened. He's not allowed free run of the house when I'm out.

My childhood cats fought all night, we never heard it but you'd find tufts of fur everywhere the next morning. They were wildly mis-matched as foes but the female played dirty.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 20:13:11

I love that picture!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Jan-15 20:26:17

That's because you don't live with him & that flick of the tail that says "fuck you mommy".

You wouldn't choose a bengal for a pet twice.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 20:30:43

True. Neither do I know him well enough to tell whether that look on his face is guilt or temper at likely being stopped from finishing the toilet roll off.

Or a bit of both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now