Advanced search

Quick kitten advice.

(14 Posts)
QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 08:59:54

My 6 month old kitten has managed too get a huge piece of thread stuck up her backside no idea how she managed it. I've phoned the vet she has an app in a couple of hours otherwise she is fine poking, attacking the dog, jumping about and chasing the string which I'm trying to stop her from doing. What will the vet likely do? Will she need to be sedated? Will she be ok? Thanks

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 09:05:47

I'd be guessing it's come the other way - been ingested and worked its way through - so you don't necessarily know what's left inside. Do you recognize the thread?

QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 09:08:04

Looks like thread for DS2's pj's he is constantly pulling at them, it's really massive about the length of her.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 09:10:38

So no possibility of a needle at the end of it?

QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 09:15:54

No no needle.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 09:24:59

I'd be tempted to snip it a bit leaving - say - an inch or two hanging free even though I would be edgy about taking a pair of scissors near a cavorting kitten. Other posters may have different views but I would just be concerned in case she pulled it tight and it constricted some innards. (Obviously, keep what you cut off in a plastic bag to show to the vet.)

QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 09:35:44

It has came out on its own, I went too snip a bit off as she had got it in her mouth. Should I still take her down to the vets as it was pretty long? Not a good pic of it its a lot longer than she is!

shaska Tue 13-Jan-15 10:47:05

This is brilliant.

I wouldn't vet unless she seems unhappy or ill. Agree with Cozie that it most likely went in the front end and came out the back!

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 10:47:36

Maybe give them a buzz and see what they say? I reckon probably not although you'll want to keep a weather eye on her.

(That is one impressive piece of thread - an object lesson in kitten-proofing a household. They have a toddler approach to life sometimes - 'see-hand(paw)-eat'.)

QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 12:40:04

Took her to the vet, she seems fine I've just too keep an eye on her. She is acting normally, eating, biting me!!

RubbishMantra Tue 13-Jan-15 13:01:15

Glad she's OK. smile

I must admit, imagining somebody chasing a prancing kitten in order to trim string dangling from her bum did make me grin a bit. But only once I read she was OK.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 13:07:35

Glad she's fine. Now you know she's a nibbler (and some are worse than others) maybe go quickly round the house with a critical eye to look for other potential 'meals' ?

QueenFuri Tue 13-Jan-15 14:19:00

Oh I have it's usually bottle lids she carries about or the dogs ears she nibbles on.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 14:21:07

Hah. If you're planning to have her as an outside-going cat, you could have an interesting life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now