Talk

Advanced search

Cattery v Cat Sitter

(11 Posts)
pilates Thu 08-Jan-15 16:06:17

Just thinking ahead for our summer holiday (nothing booked yet).

What do all you do?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 08-Jan-15 16:25:34

Cattery.

UncrushedParsley Thu 08-Jan-15 16:30:51

Lovely neighbour comes in. I give her wine.

firstposts Thu 08-Jan-15 16:40:23

I've never had a cat that would be happier in a cattery than at home. I know they exist but I haven't had one! So always go route of neighbour or pet sitter. The professionals charge £8 per day for two visits a day where I live.

Marshpillow Thu 08-Jan-15 16:43:31

We don't have a cat flap, so when our friend looked after him while we were away for a week (visited twice a day) he would be locked in or out the house for hours on end. So when we went away for two weeks we took him to a cattery, and he didn't seem too unhappy when we picked him up.
If we had a cat flap I would probably opt for a cat sitter though.

Short weekends etc use a catsitter or friend, if we are close enough to get back in an emergency such as car accident. Longer / further away we use a small cattery run by a friend in her garden, our two have a pen together. I daresay they do find it a bit of a shock, but I'd rather know they were safe and off the streets when we're not around. They've never seemed stressed when we've picked them up.

cozietoesie Thu 08-Jan-15 17:01:14

What's a holiday ? (I've forgotten. grin)

pilates Thu 08-Jan-15 18:01:22

OK, pros and cons with both really.

I think you can get people to move in to your house while you are away, but DH not keen on that idea.

Cat sitter likely to be cheaper especially if you have more than one cat, then again, you aren't buying food and litter for them when they are in the cattery. Plus someone is actively keeping an eye on your house, can pick mail up off the mat etc.

Last year a friend asked one of her neighbours to cat sit while on holiday and sadly the cat was run over and killed, which was a terrible upset for the neighbour as well as my friend and her family. It has made me think twice about asking neighbours.

Wolfiefan Thu 08-Jan-15 18:07:22

Cattery. My DM once looked after a cat for a friend. It was run over whilst they were away. Just awful.

georgedawes Thu 08-Jan-15 18:45:17

Professional cat sitter to visit twice a day. I think cats are happier in their home if possible. Ours costs £10 a day and will sort post/ water plants etc. She's insured too and would get vet treatment etc if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now