Talk

Advanced search

My cat keeps trying to hold on to me - but he forgets he has claws

(15 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 07-Jan-15 18:02:48

We just got him back from the cattery after nearly 2 weeks & we only got him from a rescue in October

He keeps sitting next to me and holding on with both paws

Or resting on me and stretching his paw out to 'hold' me in place

It's sweet but I wish he'd stop as he forget he has claws and keeps scratching me sad

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Jan-15 18:46:13

He hasn't forgotten he has claws....wink

ProfYaffle Wed 07-Jan-15 18:49:00

Our cat does this too! He's a massive ragdoll and only just fits onto my lap so he clings on with his claws to stop slipping off .....

RubbishMantra Wed 07-Jan-15 23:56:50

MCat does this in a proprietary way.

MKitten does it when having a cuddle, using his grippy claws to change position. Like your cat Prof, he sometimes rolls off, causing some scratches to the knees.

KatyMac Thu 08-Jan-15 07:25:12

No I'm sure it's forgetting as when I yowl he pulls them in (so they aren't attached) and then holds on tighter

I do wish he wouldn't try & sleep on my chest tho'

cozietoesie Thu 08-Jan-15 14:29:35

You're his person now and he's more needy because you went away - it should calm down a bit with any luck. Seniorboy does this at night (The Paw) if I forget to hold him and stroke him in bed and while I could train him to stop doing it, I know that his loss of vision is causing him some anxieties which he didn't have before so I'm being more indulgent than I normally would.

Are you nipping the tips of his claws to keep them down?

KatyMac Thu 08-Jan-15 16:15:00

Yes - I use nail clippers

He is DH's baby during the day, but mine in the evening/night

cozietoesie Thu 08-Jan-15 16:59:12

Your call whether you train him out of The Paw given that he's a young cat. (I would.) They don't mind a degree of firmness in their people at all.

KatyMac Thu 08-Jan-15 18:25:25

I 'm squeezing his paw & dotting his nose; it isn't working yet

cozietoesie Thu 08-Jan-15 18:45:16

Goodness - he probably thinks you're introducing a new game. Just be hard hearted and adopt the normal Siamese training rules.

Move the paw and say a firm NO, looking him in the face if he'll meet your eye. On the second infraction, say NO again and put him down, brusquely but not roughly - and don't invite him up again: let him come up to you when he's meditated upon his sin.

In the event of a third infraction, try if possible to anticipate it - if you don't quite know him well enough yet, watch for a 'tentative' paw semi-deployment. (Testing the waters.) Nothing like catching a Siamese on the thought as opposed to the deed.

You have to be firm though. Don't worry - it won't make him hate you or give him a complex or anything.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Thu 08-Jan-15 18:48:15

Mine do this. It's as if they think we might suddenly fling them off hmm Far from it!

Quite nice to be wanted though wink

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Thu 08-Jan-15 18:49:35

my cat climbs up me.

handy things, claws. <weeps>

cozietoesie Thu 08-Jan-15 18:54:59

Secondcat was a master at that - he would take a 'run at it' so that he could end up on your shoulder. Unusually, he was intensely sociable so anyone in the house was a potential target - we had some very surprised workmen at times.

RubbishMantra Thu 08-Jan-15 19:02:58

MKitten does the "run and velcro grip" thing. He's not a siamese, but a si-rex, so probably shares some traits.

sashh Sat 10-Jan-15 07:01:19

Mine just suddenly jumps up on me when I'm standing, if I don't put my arms down to pick her up she just climbs.

On one memorable occasion I was chopping an onion, felt claws and ended up with a cat climbing on to my shoulder to see what I was doing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now