Talk

Advanced search

How many pouches per day 5kg cat?

(9 Posts)
MincePieDiet Tue 06-Jan-15 17:32:17

My lovely 12yo cat has had to switch to wet food pouches after having blocked pee pipes. After a lifetime of snacking on dry food all day long he seems to want the food pouches constantly. Right now he is on his 5th one of the day! Aside from becoming mega expensive what's the actual amount he should be having and how often? Thanks.

NormHonal Tue 06-Jan-15 17:38:40

Our 4.8kg 14yo female has 2-3 pouches a day, plus dry food.

She has been asking for an extra one since the weather turned cold, having always been happy with two previously. The vet said this was ok.

I would advise seeing a vet for advice. Our girl was put on a diet a few years back after piling on a bit of weight.

MincePieDiet Tue 06-Jan-15 18:14:02

Thanks norm. He has been on them 3 weeks and for the first week barely are at all. Once we started warming them in the radiator he can't get enough of them. Am hoping it's just catching up from his start cation phase. Is there a cheaper way to do this?

SmokingGun Tue 06-Jan-15 18:16:19

It's ALOT cheaper to buy the 400g/800g tins. Which food are you feeding?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:17:44

4-5 a day.

Archfarchnad Tue 06-Jan-15 19:31:32

What's the meat content of the pouches you're feeding? The lower quality pouches only have 4% meat and meat products and huge amounts of grain that cats can't digest easily, so they tend to need more of it. When we first got Archcat he went on a bit of a spree with up to 5 pouches a day too. Now we only buy higher quality grain free wet food (from trays because he won't touch cans) and he only needs between 200 and 300 grams per day - at 6.5 kilos. And he's actually putting on weight too much from even that amount!

I'd agree that it's more economical to buy a high-quality 400g can, if you can get him to eat it.

SummerSazz Tue 06-Jan-15 19:34:50

Our 4kg cat has one ouch and dry food supplemented by mice. When on two she got rather porky and we were told to keep biscuits for healthy teeth but mixed with pouches to get liquid in as she is prone to wee problems.

She is lazy as though during the day. Not sure on her nocturnal activity but it usually involves mice and sleeping on my chest!

Ohfourfoxache Wed 07-Jan-15 03:09:00

Ours have a pouch a day each and dry food.

However they drink plenty of water and, occasionally, cat milk.

They don't do too badly on it - boy cat is huge, muscly, has paws like shovels and weighs in at 6.5kg shock

Beanie99 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:07:39

My cat also has to have a wet diet, for the same reason as you. He wason 3 pouches a day (Felix as good as it looks) but went to the vet just before Christmas and was 7kg!! Vet advised to cut him down to 2 1/2 and then 2 pouches. He is permanently meowing for food though and would definitely eat 5 pouches if I let him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now