Talk

Advanced search

Cat peeing all over the place and vomiting brown stuff

(12 Posts)
NewTownVelocity Mon 05-Jan-15 10:06:32

My lovely elderly cat slept on the sofa last night and when she hopped off this morning there was a big pee stain under where she slept. She has been pissing all over the house recently but it seems like she didn't even move for this particular piss. She probably did it without knowing.

Then, she went into the kitchen and had a drink of water, and shortly after vomited up a browny-coloured liquid. She is always thirsty and very thin.

I've just called the vet, got an appointment this evening. I'm worried about her. She has seen the vet before about the weeing around the house and the thirst, but got the all clear. It's so much worse now though. Anyone got experience of this? Should I be prepared for bad news? She's 18.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-Jan-15 10:25:38

I don't know. She sounds poorly though.

Does she go out?.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 05-Jan-15 10:32:16

Oh dear. Glad you've managed to get her an appointment. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

sparkysparkysparky Mon 05-Jan-15 10:46:53

Hi We have had similar stuff with our nearly 15 yr old cat. diagnosed as a hyperthyroid/early stage kidney failure combo. We've stabilised the thyroid problem with daily tablets - one felimazole a day. Better than two a day which we started with. The kidney thing is being sort of managed with Hills k/d. Cat vomited once a day during Christmas period even with all that intervention. Then weirdly and for the first time in months the cat was play hunting and generally having fun. Once I can tell she no longer enjoys life I will have to make the call. Hope vet can make your cat more comfy.smile smile

thecatneuterer Mon 05-Jan-15 14:26:58

Oh dear. Best of luck to you both but it doesn't sound good, as I think you've probably guessed. I hope they can help her but I think you will need to be prepared for the worst. Eighteen is a very good age and it sounds as though she's had a lovely life with you. And remember it's better to PTS a day early than a day late.

cozietoesie Mon 05-Jan-15 17:14:35

Good luck to her at her appointment. Let us know how you get on.

NewTownVelocity Mon 05-Jan-15 19:45:43

Thanks everyone. Not good news, as I thought. She is showing signs of renal failure (her last bloods, taken in August were borderline) and is riddled with arthritis in her back legs. Vet offered to take more bloods to see exactly what state her kidneys are in and what treatment to give, but we would really only be buying time :-( She doesn't recommend painkillers for the arthritis either - it would destroy what's left of her kidneys.

Need to discuss with DH, but I have provisionally booked to have her PTS on Wednesday sad

thecatneuterer Mon 05-Jan-15 20:02:43

I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're making the right decision.

Dollyemi Mon 05-Jan-15 20:06:28

Aw big hug, but that's the kindest thing to do for your loyal friend x x x

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 05-Jan-15 20:28:31

So sorry NewTown. It's the kindest thing when they get to that stage but so hard. I'm dreading it. Thinking of you and your wee darling moggie.

cozietoesie Mon 05-Jan-15 23:14:59

I'm so sorry, NewTown. I'm almost at that stage with my own old boy so I know how it is for you.

sparkysparkysparky Tue 06-Jan-15 09:03:00

Thinking of you. Almost at that stage with our girl too. Sounds like your cat has had a lovely life and reached a grand age too. thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now