Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question re litter trays!!

(15 Posts)
Hellokittycat Sat 03-Jan-15 20:46:25

How often do you completely change the litter? Complete change every time they poo? Every day? Scoop out poo straight away, top up litter and completely clean out every few days/once a week??
New to this and no idea!!!

umiaisha Sat 03-Jan-15 22:23:05

I scoop the poo as I notice/smell it and completely change the litter (Catsan hygiene) once a week.

We have one cat that goes outside but comes in to use the tray if that helps!

CoffeeBucks Sat 03-Jan-15 22:33:07

Scoop straight away, complete change about once a week. Sooner if it's particularly pungent. We use Catsan.

If the litter tray is not to the cat's liking then he shits in the middle of the kitchen floor hmm

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Sat 03-Jan-15 22:35:24

Scoop poo straight away, change trays every other day. We have a small tray and a large tray in different parts of the house.

LuckyBlackKitty Sun 04-Jan-15 09:29:55

I think I am a clean freak as I would clean the tray completely every day. I was shocked to find out others don't!

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 04-Jan-15 09:33:25

Scoop PPP as soon as it is deposited. My cat will not use a litter tray with a PPP already in it!
Disinfect and replace litter every Saturday. I use Catsam Hygiene non clumping and the tray doesn't smell at all.

Pipbin Sun 04-Jan-15 09:37:38

Scoop poo straight away and completely change about once a fortnight. My cat can go outdoors and prefers to go out there so sometimes will go all week without using it.
I use wood pulp litter and it's easy to see when it needs changing as wee turns the wood pellets to sawdust. When there is more sawdust than pellets it's time to change.

If you completely change every day it will cost a fortune in litter.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 04-Jan-15 09:49:10

PPP is not some strange acronym for poo, stupid phone.
To add- my cat is an indoor pet so used the litter tray a lot. I can only imagine how much those of you who replace every day are spending on litter!

AngelCauliflower Sun 04-Jan-15 09:55:54

I use the really fine clumping litter in a covered litter tray. I take out the poo and clumps as soon as I notice they are there. So I am doing this about three times a day. After reading this thread I will get into the routine of doing a complete change once a week. At the moment I have no set routine for doing this. Just when ever I think it really needs it.

When I had the wood pellet litter I did a complete change every day. I don't have to do that with the litter I use now which I prefer.

I have three indoor/outdoor cats but two of them are only little and always use the (three) trays..the other one doesn't very often.
I scoop as soon as they poo (and Maine coon kittens do BIG poos!) and generally change the whole litter every other day. Costs me a fortune!

I use woodchip as thats what they came with, but am considering trying to change to the fine stuff in the hope it lasts longer!

ImBatDog Mon 05-Jan-15 00:30:19

Indoor cat and we scoop as soon as she poops, change every week. We also use catsan.

shaska Mon 05-Jan-15 20:45:16

Depends on the litter I think? When I used catsan, which didn't clump, I scooped poo twice a day ish and did a full change once a week, or more if trays got smelly.

Now I use CatsBest, which clumps, so poo and wee get scooped twice a day, with a cupful of new litter on top and a full change probably only every two/three weeks or so.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 05-Jan-15 20:49:03

As soon as poo is there and complete change every 2-3 days (wood based goes into sawdust )

Lunastarfish Mon 05-Jan-15 20:52:05

Luckily my cat goes outside now, but when we move and he's locked in I usually scoop the poo up each day (preferbaly asap) and put it in a nappy sack. I then change the litter every 3/4 days. I use woodchip which i find is much better than grit, it goes to sawdust once it is weed on and doesn't tend to clump which is easier for cleaning.

Lunastarfish Mon 05-Jan-15 20:55:13

I also found woodchip smells better than grit. Can your cat go outside? my life is so much better now he does his business outside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now