Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which kitten food?

(14 Posts)
Hellokittycat Sat 03-Jan-15 20:42:49

I've got an iams complete kitten food (dry) and Felix meaty pouches.
Which is best or a mixture of the two? Am just using the dry food at the moment ...

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 03-Jan-15 23:08:32

I feed all wet. It's how cats get moisture. They don't get thirsty the way we do because they are desert animals in origin.

MoonlightandRoses Sat 03-Jan-15 23:09:00

Not sure about for kittens, but our vet recommended feeding both dry and wet for our cats - dry is better for teeth, but can't remember what the wet was for, possibly fluids/coat?

RubbishMantra Sun 04-Jan-15 05:02:21

I give mine 2 wet meals a day, (Animonda Carny) and leave biscuits (Applaws) for them to snack on.

I wouldn't give them Felix or Iams though.

Hellokittycat Sun 04-Jan-15 08:06:37

Oh ok. I posted before that the kitten was on whiskas kitten food at the breeders and was told to not get whiskas or go cat as they are rubbish, other brands are better. That why I got iams and Felix! But they are no good either?
Which ones are good then??

AngelCauliflower Sun 04-Jan-15 09:12:58

Hi, I am new to this too so have been reading a lot of the older threads about food and it is very interesting. I feed my cat burns dry food which the pet shop told me was a really good dry food but from what I have read on here it probably isn't because it has rice in it. I give her applaws wet and lily's kitchen wet which I think are good. I am thinking of changing her dry food to applaws.

Hellokittycat Sun 04-Jan-15 09:18:42

I think I will look for applaws then, that seems to be mentioned a few times.
Do you put wet food down a couple of times a day and leave the dry biscuits out all the time for in between?

AngelCauliflower Sun 04-Jan-15 09:38:42

Hi, my cat was very fussy when she came here to live. She wouldn't eat anything. Eventually she ate some lily's kitchen mixed through some dry food. She has that twice a day. She eats dry food at other times and also once a day has a little applaws chicken and cheese which she loves. I have been sticking to this routine because she is happy with it and everything is good. I buy from zooplus because it is cheaper than in the shops. There are also lots of reviews on there that might help you decide. I would buy the best food you can afford. I have still to price the applaws dry. Maybe too expensive for me.

RubbishMantra Sun 04-Jan-15 09:53:46

Here you go, a link to a previous thread about decent cat foods.

Taught me a fair bit.

Hellokittycat Sun 04-Jan-15 11:26:33

Thanks that looks really useful smile

Buttholelane Sun 04-Jan-15 12:00:18

Lily's kitchen is fabulous.
Meowing heads is good too, I personally don't like applaws because the overwhelming majority of their foods are complementary and contain no taurine.
A lack of taurine will cause your cat to go blind and eventually kill it, it's a vital ingredient.
I believe it is also manufactured In Thailand whereas Lily's kitchen is organic british and meowing heads is british.

RubbishMantra Sun 04-Jan-15 13:53:20

The wet Applaws is complimentary (muscle meat only), the dry complete. I like the biscuits because they're cereal free, unlike lots of other brands.

Kattykat Wed 09-Dec-15 09:25:47

Hi, Applaws do do some wet complete food now in tins, but it seems to just be for 'senior' cats for some reason.

blatantplacemark Wed 09-Dec-15 09:47:27

I just feed dried food and whatever is on offer usually. I always leave water down too. I've never, in all the 25 years I've had cats, had a single vet visit, bar for spaying. You do not need to spend a fortune on their food. Unless you want to of course

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now