Talk

Advanced search

How to encourage cats to use scratching post?

(9 Posts)
saltedcaramelicious Sat 03-Jan-15 13:16:01

My parents are adopting two rescue cats today both aged 3/4 years. Scratching post has been purchased, how exactly can they help cats use the bloody thing and not the stairs/sofa like previous cats?
Any tips greatly appreciated!

KareninsGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 15:51:07

I just kept saying 'ah ah' in a loud voice when they a ratchet si ethics they shouldn't, then placed their paws on tge scratching post and praised them.

didn't take long x

KareninsGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 15:51:34

*scratched something

DontCallMeBaby Sat 03-Jan-15 16:02:22

I've given up on the stairs - wrapped scratch mats around the newel posts top and bottom as soon as we moved in, the cat having whittled the previous ones away to twigs. One cat in particular, stairs are just his thing. Given up on the sofas too tbh, but I'll be employing the above method when we get new ones.

Pointlessfan Sat 03-Jan-15 16:06:10

I will placed his paws on it and also put dreamies on top of it to encourage him to investigate it and to reach up it with his paws. It worked, he uses it all the time

Wolfiefan Sat 03-Jan-15 16:07:42

Catnip?
Pull string over post to get them trying their claws out on it?
Put them on it whenever they scratch?
Water pistol whenever they scratch somewhere you don't want them to?

RubbishMantra Sat 03-Jan-15 17:00:43

Catnip spray and dangly toys on string attached to it?

The Dreamies on top are a good idea, never thought of that.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:13:18

Tell them not to scratch the posts. They'll instantly become obsessed with them.

RubbishMantra Sat 03-Jan-15 20:21:54

^ indeed ^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now