Talk

Advanced search

Have a Beautiful new kitten- our current cat HATES it!

(9 Posts)
CornChips Thu 01-Jan-15 17:31:40

3 weeks ago we adopted from a rescue centre a gorgeous new kitten, 6 months old. She is utterly delightful and affectionate. She gets on really well with our dogs (one of whom adores her) but our other cat has completely lost the plot. We have had cats come in before (sadly deceased) and have never had a problem integrating a new one, but this time all hell is breaking loose. Our current cat is also a girl, both are speyed. Current cat is 11 years old. It is so bad that we still have to keep them in separate rooms as they just go for each other and fight so badly that they are drawing copious amounts of blood. Both are instigators of the fights. In addition, new kitten loses total control of her bladder and bowels when they fight, so we are constantly washing clothes and shampooing the carpets.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to calm them down? I have owned cats all y life, as has DH and neither of us has ever had any issues or problems integrating a new cat to the family.

any hep very gratefully received.

georgedawes Thu 01-Jan-15 17:35:41

A feliway plug in may help a bit? They're cheaper online than from the vet.

lemisscared Thu 01-Jan-15 17:36:15

my first thought would to get your old cat checked over by vet to ensure there are no underlying problems. ask them about feliway (might be called adaptil now) and get a diffuser.

it took my friends cats a long time to call a truce. they tolerate each other now but its not love.

CornChips Thu 01-Jan-15 17:39:28

Brilliant, thanks. Have just ordered two feliways from Amazon,due to arrive Saturday.

Our older cat needs her vaccinations renewed soon, so good idea about getting the vet to check her over.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:46:31

Get some zylkene too, apparently it works really well with feliway.

Did you swap their bedding over?

CornChips Thu 01-Jan-15 18:06:58

Would swapping the bedding work? Our older cat has two cat hammocks that are very thoroughly and emphatically hers. The younger cat was bought a toxic coloured bed with spots and pom poms (courtesy DS aged 4) which she ignores. I could certainly dismantle a cat hammock and put it in the kitten's room though if that would help.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:11:13

It can't hurt if their taking lumps out of each other. Have you looked on international cat cares advice on introducing cats or did you bring the kitten straight in and let her out in the lounge?

CornChips Thu 01-Jan-15 18:21:55

Deffo not the latter! grin

No, she was let out into my study when we got her home, then introduced to the dogs the next day one by one then the older cat in the evening, always in our presence, for a few minutes, then increasing over the next few days. The dogs love her..... one is a frustrated mother and just follows the kitten around and tries to lick her.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:34:21

www.icatcare.org:8080/advice/how-guides/how-introduce-new-kitten-your-resident-cat

Try this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now