Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeling overwhelmed by new cat

(55 Posts)
Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:34

Please don't flame me. I'm feeling utterly overwhelmed by my new cat,he was a christmas suprise from dh. Persian,8 months old.
The grooming is fine,but cleaning the eyes,wiping it's bottom etc I just find it overwhelming.
Today there is a trail of poo in his path as he wont let me clean his bottom. He's very very fluffy. He's an adorable cat & we all are very fond of him. He's settling into our home well & we've
I wouldn't say to dh,but what on earth was he thinking? I'm having a wobble. Just need a routine I think but it feels like another baby.
Is it normal to feel like this? I've had cats all my life,but general moggies.
Dh researched the breeder etc & he's lovely when I've contacted him about anything. Dh knows I love Persians which is why he got him.
Please be kind!

msrisotto Wed 31-Dec-14 08:52:11

I'm not going to flame you, it's a mad idea to get someone a surprise pet, even if they like pets, for precisely this reason. Persians are far higher maintenance than moggies. I've never had a Persian though, nor a long haired cat so I can't advise you, but you have my sympathies.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 31-Dec-14 08:55:23

Oh that would irritate me a lot - cat shit is revolting and no one wants it all over their house.

I'd shave its arse so it could groom itself.

Actually most of my elderly normal moggies got matted hair towards the end and I used the clippers on them - much quicker than scissors with no chance of actually cutting them.

So shave its arse grin

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 08:56:31

If he'd asked I would have said yes to a cat,but one that goes out etc. I'm feeling really ridiculously upset.
Please understand I wouldn't return him,we've made a commitment to caring for him. He must have cost so much,he's a show cat & it's typical dh. He was so excited about it & I was very pleased but my god trying to clean poo out of it's fur with ds wanting to know what's going on blah blah blah.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 31-Dec-14 09:00:44

He's not a show cat at home though, you can shave him.

He doesn't know he's a posh cat, he just thinks why the fuck can't I lick my own arse grin

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 09:02:04

Well there is that. He has a ginormous fluffy tail on top though.

Stillyummy Wed 31-Dec-14 09:06:53

Clip his trousers. Also feed him the same food every day with no/very few additions/treats, hit his will encourage firm poo. I had a long hair cat and had to do this, it gets easier when you have a management routee. The most important thing is, if you notice matts developing and can't brush or cut them out yourself take him to the vets and have him groomed by them so the problem doesn't get worse.
Like many of my male friends observed- long hair=high maintenance.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 31-Dec-14 09:09:55

You can shave around the tail with clippers easily - yes, he's going to look funny but it's either that or poo in the house.

I shaved a stripe down my elderly cats back last summer as he was getting too hot, worked really well - it was the vet that mentioned it to me as he knew I did the dog (I took all the hair off my springer every 3 months when he was young so he could run about without getting tangled in the curls)

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 09:14:24

He has the same food that he had at the breeder. Royal canin Persian. Dh trimmed a little bit near his bottom last night. The rest is fine on top as it's easier to brush. His eyes get a bit grim but we've got that kind of under control,cotton wool pads & water/eye cleanser. He's a very sweet cat & I just want to do everything correctly & I probably sound a bit hysterical blush.

CatCushion Wed 31-Dec-14 09:17:31

Agree that suprise pets as presents are a terrible idea.

Could you trim the cat's fur around the bum so that you don't get a poo trail?

Personally Id be refusing to accept a long haired cat into my home.

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 09:25:38

Well it let me clean it a bit <vom>

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 31-Dec-14 10:19:07

We had 4, you get used to poo.

I've scraped shit off two mats this morning and this one isn't even long haired.

Are you sure it has to be a house cat? One of ours was by choice but the others went out.

A good grooming salon will trip the trouser area safely, cat skin can tear open from small nicks so you have to be careful.

I had a major wobble over ours for a couple of weeks.

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 11:17:24

Been out for a walk with ds. Feeling a bit better that you had a wobble too.

JamForTea Wed 31-Dec-14 11:22:48

He might have a bit of an upset tummy at stress of new home etc. even if he is getting the same food he's always had. So that'll hopefully settle down and you'll have less of poo-arse wiping. I think your dh needs to get involved at the business end of the cat as well tbh. Hopefully when things are more back to normal after new year you will settle into more of a routine with the cat and things will get easier for you. Christmas us stressful enough without a new (slightly shitty arsed) pet being brought into the equation. Your dh WAS a bit daft to do that, as well meant as it was! Has your kitten got a name yet?

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 11:26:05

Tbh dh has done the poo,the litter tray,his pooey fur,90% of the grooming. I think he could see I was a bit hysterical anxious.
Ds really wanted to call him Jesus but we've settled on Bailey.

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 11:28:51

Yes,I think it's the stress that's given him a bit of an upset yum.
He's becoming more confident with us though.

JamForTea Wed 31-Dec-14 11:29:14

Jesus grin Ok sounds like your dh is trying to help with all that - good stuff! I think in a few weeks he will feel such as part of your family. It's ok to have a wobble about taking on quite a high maintenance pet. You'll get there.

JamForTea Wed 31-Dec-14 11:29:53

Any pics? smile

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 11:39:46

Jesus,as he was the baby that came at Christmas grin

JamForTea Wed 31-Dec-14 11:44:16

Wow he is a beautiful fluff-bomb! He looks blissful in that second pic, really chilled out!

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 11:50:37

He is beautiful! Very affectionate,when he wants it like most cats!

JamForTea Wed 31-Dec-14 12:20:08

See, you do love him a bit already wink

LaurieFairyCake Wed 31-Dec-14 12:36:59

Oh God, he's lovely

Icelollycraving Wed 31-Dec-14 12:59:20

I do! Just don't love the poo!!

RubbishMantra Wed 31-Dec-14 14:27:05

He's lovely.

I do think you should call him Jesus though, that's an awesome name for a cat! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now