Talk

Advanced search

collars

(9 Posts)
KareninsGirl Tue 30-Dec-14 09:19:49

Hey all
hope you and your kitties had a love Xmas smile
my two got collars in their 'stockings'. They are the basic snap lock ones from Pets at Home. fluffy boy loves his and displays it proudly but ginger girl more enjoys playing with it until it comes off!
any collar recommendations please? We just want the neighbours to know they are not strays wink

thanks x

shaska Tue 30-Dec-14 19:42:49

Hello!

You'll find opinion divided on collars, but they can cause terrible injuries, even the ones with safety releases, and personally I don't think any collar is worth the risk - you're better off with a microchip.

To give you an example, the second story down at this link, 'Precious' is our cat, who we rehomed from Celia Hammond once she'd recovered. She's much better now but had an awful time with a collar injury: www.celiahammond.org/about-us/rescue-stories/

That said I know people do choose to use collars, and it's totally up to you - but please do try and get an extremely easy-release one!

thecatneuterer Tue 30-Dec-14 19:55:23

Recent discussion of collars here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/a1969133-Collars-pros-and-cons#44455604

I'm against them because of the number of cats with collar injuries that come through our doors.

Saskia I remember Precious! How's she doing?

thecatneuterer Tue 30-Dec-14 19:58:51

sorry I got your name completely wrong! Shaska duh...

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:36:12

I wouldn't bother. I just wouldn't risk an injury to him.

shaska Tue 30-Dec-14 20:36:27

thecatneuterer oh she's completely mad but utterly marvellous. She doesn't love being left alone, and thinks play is a blood sport, but she does wonderful rumbly purring and recently discovered that she likes being scratched behind the ears. I talk about her on here quite often as The Madcat, her exploits are many and varied.

We also took Ava - don't know if you remember her as well, she's a little white/tabby who'd been hit by a car. She's probably the gentlest, most affectionate cat I've ever met, so they make quite a pair!

I actually suspect you did our home visit - unless it's just that all Celia Hammond home visitors own over 20 cats!

thecatneuterer Tue 30-Dec-14 20:41:50

Thanks for the updatesmile No I don't remember Ava. We have so many cats (although Louise, who works at Canning Town, remembers every cat to have ever passed through the door, going back over ten years, including name and full back story).

I don't think it would have been me to do the home check. I occasionally do them, but very rarely (my photo is on my profile if you want to check). But no, everyone who has anything to do with CHAT ends up with at least 20 cats. It's obligatory grin.

Sorry for thread derail OP.

shaska Tue 30-Dec-14 21:26:16

Ah, no, not you! A lovely gentleman with many cats...

I'm not surprised you don't remember Ava, I can't even imagine how many cats you guys deal with. But I'm glad to be able to tell you Precious is well (though no longer called precious, we decided she needed something a bit more...zippy)

KareninsGirl Tue 30-Dec-14 22:29:52

ahhhh right. well both are chipped and after your sage words of advice I think I shall remove both collars xxx Thank you so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now