Talk

Advanced search

We have found a kitten...

(71 Posts)
Gabriola Mon 29-Dec-14 16:32:19

She was found very early this morning and taken in because she was very cold and distressed and near a very busy road. The friends who found her passed her on to us. We've had her scanned and she's not chipped. we've checked all the local vets lost and found books and she's not in them. We've contacted the local animal shelter, but no joy there and we have knocked on lots of doors and posted lots of flyers.

Can we do anything else to get her home?

She's about 9-12 mths old and very sociable. She hasn't been neutered or chipped, but seems well cared for. She has a crusty nose and is sneezing occasionally but has eaten and drunk well. She's yet to use the litter tray, but she's sat in it a few times, so she knows what it's for. She's slept for most of the day.

The vets advice was to leave her where we found her but I'm really loathe to do this due to the weather and busy road. There is also a lot of woodland near to where she was found, so not that many houses.

What do you think?

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Mon 29-Dec-14 16:41:45

Post on your local facebook selling sites. There are also some dedicated facebook pages for missing/found cats.

Try to make sure you keep one of her distinguishing features secret so you know whether or not anyone who contacts you is the genuine owner.

Well done for taking her in.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:42:56

I'd keep her. I couldn't leave a young cat near a busy road when it's distressed & hoping someone will care for it.

She might have been abandoned when the cute factor wore off & the sneezing would worry me she's not in great health.

If she's been a pet they don't always adapt to feral life & get enough to eat. Hence she was thirsty, they get most of their water from food.

Gabriola Mon 29-Dec-14 16:44:15

Thanks gilbert I don't do facebook, but will get someone else can do it for me.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:45:48

Be vague, you don't want the dog fighters to get hold of her for live bait.

Sorry to be so blunt but people are worse than you imagine.

RubbishMantra Mon 29-Dec-14 16:56:31

You've done the right thing by taking her in. Pretty shocking advice from the vet, to just put her back where you found her, seeing as she was distressed and sneezing. And it's freezing cold today!

I think she's been abandoned, especially as she's not chipped, which only costs a tenner nowadays.

Gabriola Mon 29-Dec-14 16:59:42

Yes I know, I will. I haven't described her in the flyers. Horrible that people can do that.

My gut feeling is that she might have been abandoned. Especially as she's not neutered, chipped or wearing a collar. She's a lovely little thing.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:00:56

Does she have a name?

Stillyummy Mon 29-Dec-14 17:15:11

Keep an eye on the sneezing. I would take her back to the vet in person in a days time and say she had been hanging about, unless you want to keep her? They can check her over and find her home or rehome her.

NoisyOyster Mon 29-Dec-14 17:22:49

<jealous someone has found a kitten>

<sends gentle little playful strokes and tickles round the ears>
- to kitten obviously not op wink

thecatneuterer Mon 29-Dec-14 17:28:05

'Leave her where you found her'!!! Jeez - what utterly heartless and appalling advice! She would either starve, get run over, or live to form a feral colony, which would then starve/get run over.

How do you know she's not neutered incidentally (although I think it's very likely that she isn't). Did they shave her side?

It sounds as though she has been abandoned. Particularly if there is woodland nearby. If she's unneutered, unchipped and unwell then I wouldn't even put up flyers. If she does have an owner then they are too irresponsible to own an animal anyway.

Where in the country are you? Have you contacted any rescues?

If you do decide to rehome her privately can you get her neutered first? You could then pass the cost on to any new owners, which would be perfectly reasonable. That way you can be sure than firstly, she's been done, and secondly the potential owners are not doing it on a whim and having to pay something should weed out the most undesirable sort.

HansieLove Mon 29-Dec-14 17:28:29

That's a terrible bit of advice from the vet. Shocking, really. Here is a young cat that is scared, sick, hungry, thirsty, probably been dumped.

What does kitty look like?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:37:43

Tbh I'd keep her & call her Georgie.

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Mon 29-Dec-14 18:50:10

You'll probably end up keeping her, you do realise that? grin thanks

Gabriola Mon 29-Dec-14 22:01:18

Thanks for all the posts.

She has had several names so far grin. I think we've settled on Mittens. It was a vet nurse who checked her and told us she wasn't neutered just by looking at her lady bits.

We have contacted the rescue which is not too far from where she was found. They're not accepting cats at the moment as they've run out of money (dd and I have volunteered for them in the past). I guess someone rejected there could have dumped her.

I think we probably will keep her. The dc's have fell in love all ready. However the timing is pretty rubbish. Our last cat died almost 12 months ago, very suddenly, and we're not quite over that yet. We're also about to get some building work done and the plan was to wait until summer and then get a rescue cat.

Also, to make matters worse, we were possibly having some relatives to stay at new year; one of whom is extremely allergic to cats.

She's very cute though, and thanks for the cuddles oyster I've passed them on. smile

Gothgirl78 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:29:40

I hope she's not pregnant ! Well done though x

bettyboop1970 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:32:27

She is adorable! It sounds like you have tried very hard to find her owners, assuming she is lost and not been abandoned. I know I'd keep her if no one claims her. I have three rescue cats, the newest addition (a beautiful blue/Siamese cross) was taken to the vets and her owner wanted her 'put down' because she wasn't 'sold' quickly enough like her siblings! My friends daughter works at said vets and contacted me to home her, needless to say I didn't need any persuading! Good luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:36:17

shes got the most gorgeous eyes. How can they tell just by looking at her lady parts?

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Dec-14 22:39:25

Gorgeous cat. Could a friend or neighbour take her in whilst allergic person stays? (Or take allergic person!!)
On a side note. Why do I NEVER find a kitten. I WANT a kitten.
Ok rant over!!

Gabriola Mon 29-Dec-14 22:39:40

I don't know fluffy. confused

I guess we've a potentially expensive trip to the vet if she's still here in the new year. I hope she's not pregnant too.

HansieLove Mon 29-Dec-14 22:45:21

She was probably so tired. Thanks to you giving her safety, she could relax and sleep much of the day.
If you return to the same vet, you could tell him/her that you thought their advice was very uncaring, for someone that is in a caring field.

Corygal Mon 29-Dec-14 22:53:48

You have received a Christmas present from the Fates, I feel. And I bet she will turn out to be your best present ever. She is beautiful and looks so clever and sweet.

Of course you can't 'put her back' - that's, you know, murder. Talk to the vet in the new year and see if you can get a discount on her jabs, then enjoy her. Cats aren't that expensive to keep, to be honest. And they really are an utter joy.

thecatneuterer Mon 29-Dec-14 23:00:48

If a vet nurse can tell just by looking at her bits then she's got quite a talent. Our vets have to shave them look for a spay scar to know.

Anyway I'm glad she's landed on her paws with you. Just book her in for neutering asap, and I would go ahead even if she is pregnant. Abortion is better than the potential dangers of giving birth and then a load more of unwanted kittens.

And you can still get a rescue cat in Summer. One cat is never enough!

Pannacotta Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:13

I am a firm believer in cats finding you and it sounds like she found you.
Cant get my head round the advice from the vet.
I am sure she would love to stay with you even with building work. The house guest can take some anti histamines!
Keep us all posted. She looks gorgeous.

timtam23 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:14:56

Poor little thing. How lucky for her that she has found you. If she's not chipped...I think you have got yourself a new cat grin

I don't think it's possible to tell whether a female cat is neutered just by looking at their lady bits!! Male cats...yes there is a crucial bit of external anatomy missing after neutering, but not for females - am not sure what the vet nurse was looking for!

Timing is sometimes never right for these things, I took in a very young kitten last summer when circumstances were really not at all ideal (mainly because of very young children and very elderly ill cats). Of course we kept the kitten and he has more than repaid our kindness, he is such a lovely cat and as both of my old cats have now died it has been so nice to have him around to cheer me up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now