Talk

Advanced search

He's in a cattery, and I feel awful!!!! Is it normal to feel guilty?

(11 Posts)
Moln Fri 26-Dec-14 08:14:32

I keep worrying he's sad and meowing to get out, and angry and annoyed that I've removed him from his house.

He's only young, but this break was planned before he was discovered and came to live with us!!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 26-Dec-14 08:19:11

I always felt guilty. I much preferred to have someone come and stay in the house. However, they forgave me eventually when I had to leave them at the cattery...but to be fair, the one we used was the cat equivalent of a spa hotel fgrin

HeyheyheyGoodbye Fri 26-Dec-14 08:19:53

It's horrendous, isn't it? We don't even put ours in a cattery, we pay someone to come twice a day to the house and then we badger them for updates by text blush but I still feel awful!!!

He will be fine. He will just sleep a lot and be thrilled to see you when you return to collect him - after a period of feline sulking of course!!

Moln Fri 26-Dec-14 08:31:39

On good it's not unusal to feel bad. Poor DS2 (8) cried when we left the vets (cattery attached to our vets) sad. The cattery looks nice and the play area is packed with things for him to climb on and hide in, but still worried he will be Not Impressed.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 26-Dec-14 08:48:22

Our two are never impressed. One in particular hates any change. But I know the one we use is a nice small friendly cattery where they'll be cared for and treated well. And we just can't never ever have a holiday. It's only once a year for ours. They live the life of royalty the rest of the year. They're always fine when they get home and do forgive us (I think confused).

If you always use the same cattery it will at least be familiar to some extent for the cat for next time.

jessabell Fri 26-Dec-14 08:49:53

First time the worst. Tried somebody coming in to feed them. They look better from being in a cattery. Got company and noise around. One of them usually comes back with a silly meow she soon loses it. You know they are safe.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 26-Dec-14 09:00:48

I don't really have anyone I could ask to come in and feed them for the duration of a holiday. But even if I did I think that option would possibly worry me more. If we weren't about they'd be lonely and might go awol. At least in a cattery I know where they are.

ProfYaffle Fri 26-Dec-14 09:03:36

Oh god, yes! We used a cattery for the first time in the summer - dd2 cried when we left our cat.

Our previous cat was happy to be left with neighbours feeding her but our new cat wandered off when we were on holiday because he was bored and lonely and looking for company. I felt bad putting him in the cattery but it was by far the safest option for him, even if he hated it!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Dec-14 14:43:15

Ours has been in since the 23rd. I've not rung them at all.

How's he going to appreciate what an awesome mommy I am if I don't send him to a cattery now and then.

SquirrelledAway Fri 26-Dec-14 21:22:21

He'll pay you back. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Probably the day you're running late and you've got a big meeting, and you'll find cat sick in your handbag and something brown and smelly in your shoe.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-Dec-14 19:03:16

Well I've had my payback. He's smeared mud all up the front door & in the utility he got brown mud on all the pale surfaces & white cat litter mud on the black areas plus kicked a considerable quantity of the litter all over everything.

Skilful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now